elasticity; ability to adapt to new circumstances; pliability
flexibility
graduate
strength
update

"to be" and modals before adverb?

heck's becks? | "a day before" vs "the day before"
"to be" and modals before adverb? #1 (permalink) Tue Jun 16, 2009 20:59 pm   "to be" and modals before adverb?

Someone just told me that the sentence - " It simply is the best computer we have", is wrong and that it should be like this: "It is simply the best computer we have". I'm totally confused because I've never heard of any rule saying that the verb "to be" and modals have to be before the adverb. Is there really susch a rule or is it just a matter of emphasis?
Mcgfc

"to be" and modals before adverb? #2 (permalink) Tue Apr 20, 2010 13:15 pm   "to be" and modals before adverb?

I think this is a question of balance. In other words 'is' is a short sound and 'simply' is longer and it sounds better to say: It is simply ...At the same time of course by saying 'It simply is...', you are creating an emphasis, which is what you said.

_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Pronoun: He did it himself. vs He did it on his own. vs He did it by himself.IF clauseIs this correct?BONY SCOTLANDA question about : tiredManual - Entrepreneurial climate in VET schoolsgrandiloquent and magniloquentParaphrase this sentences: Computational biology is the perfect combination of...Sentence: I had a slip yesterday but it wasn't a funnel though. It's about...Difference between progress and progressionSlang: We are as near heaven on the sea as on the landWhen we use "itself" and "by itself"?Sentence: Echoes ... for radar to detect distant objects.