reliable; trustworthy; dependable
commercial
aggregate
robust
credible

Difference between aware and unaware

I'm covering the phones | idiom about two dominant persons and high profile people
Difference between aware and unaware #1 (permalink) Sun Aug 07, 2005 23:41 pm   Difference between aware and unaware

Test No. errors/advan-2 "Please, remind me", question 7

Those employees which were working on the upper floors of the building were unaware of the fire.

(a) which
(b) on
(c) were
(d) of

Test No. errors/advan-2 "Please, remind me", answer 7

Those employees who were working on the upper floors of the building were unaware of the fire.

Correct entry: who
The error was: (a) which

You have not found the error.
Those employees which were working on the upper floors of the building were unaware about the fire.
_________________________

Could I say "were unaware about the fire"?

Priscila Portela
Priscila Portela

Unaware #2 (permalink) Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:21 am   Unaware

Hi Priscila,

The usual preposition after aware and unaware is of. The preposition about is of a much more general nature as in knowing about something.
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
why you used which for the employees instead of who? #3 (permalink) Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:14 am   why you used which for the employees instead of who?

Dear Teachers,
For Q7, I don't understand why you used which for the employees instead of who?
Many thanks
Martinn
Martinn

Difference between aware and unaware #4 (permalink) Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:21 am   Difference between aware and unaware

Dear Guest :)
As you can see, it was the mistake which testtakers are supposed to correct :)

Difference between aware and unaware #5 (permalink) Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:44 am   Difference between aware and unaware

Why i can't use the answer 'whom' here thanks!
Bt_Unlock18

Difference between aware and unaware #6 (permalink) Mon Aug 10, 2009 18:23 pm   Difference between aware and unaware

I would like to ask you about the words "recently" and "lately". As far as I know they have the same meaning and are used in Present Perfect. But can we use the word "lately" or "recently" in Past Simple and in what cases?
Iraberezhany

Location: Ukraine

Difference between aware and unaware #7 (permalink) Mon Aug 10, 2009 18:52 pm   Difference between aware and unaware

Lost_Soul wrote:
Dear Guest :)
Hi LS,

You need 'who' because 'employees' is the subject (not the object) for the verb 'were working'.

_________________

Difference between aware and unaware #8 (permalink) Mon Aug 10, 2009 19:16 pm   Difference between aware and unaware

Hi Iraberezhany,

Both 'recently and 'lately' are associated with the past not long ago. Both 'recently' and 'lately' can refer to a period of time but whereas 'recently can also refer to a point of time, 'lately' tends to refer only to a period of time. Look at these two sentences:

Recently/lately I have been reading several biographies. Recently I read an excellent biography of Shakespeare.

_________________
You can read my ESL story Passive Voice

Difference between aware and unaware #9 (permalink) Mon Aug 10, 2009 20:19 pm   Difference between aware and unaware

So, Alan, as far as I understood 'recently' can be used in Present Perfect and Past Simple and 'lately' only in Present Perfect.
Are these sentenses correct?
1) RecentlyLately I have recieved many letters from my friend.
2) RecentlyLately my son have been eating too much meat.
3) Recently I saw an interesting true-to-life film. (not lately)
Can we use both 'recently' and 'lately' in the first sentence? Or only recently?
Iraberezhany

Location: Ukraine

Difference between aware and unaware #10 (permalink) Wed Jul 06, 2011 19:59 pm   Difference between aware and unaware

Haven't anybody heard of using 'that' alongside 'who' referring to subjects? Take TOEFL Books, for example...
Regards.
Eugene2114

Drag on???The meaning of 'official failure to hold those responsible to account'?Passive voicehe got a couple of things wrongthe fries a largeto hold the conference call/to change a meeting time?to hook up with sb/in an airportI heard he got a promotion at the Business News./catch upTOEICŪ listening part III, set 4, exercise 10:I'll be out of town Tuesday and Wednesday...How's your new building coming along?I like for my house to be clean and orderly.How does a Field Effect Transistor work?