change; adjustment, agreement; adaptation; restriction
direction
commerce
modification
intention

Meanig of "before he didn't leap up"

IF clause | Phrase "keeping score at home"
Meanig of "before he didn't leap up" #1 (permalink) Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:29 am   Meanig of "before he didn't leap up"

'There was a knock on the door. It was still going to be a little time before he didn't leap up and stand at the end of the bed and wait for the door to be opened.'
In this context, does 'before he didn't leap up' have the same meaning as 'before he leapt up' ? I have never seen an example where 'before' is used with a negative verb after it.
Ksguo

Meanig of "before he didn't leap up" #2 (permalink) Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:40 am   Meanig of "before he didn't leap up"

Where did you find this sentence?

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a professor and a university student in the professor's office

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Meanig of "before he didn't leap up" #3 (permalink) Tue Apr 20, 2010 18:32 pm   Meanig of "before he didn't leap up"

Hello Ksguo,

Yes, in the story, 'he' did in fact leap.

It sounds as if, in the story, 'he' has been in the habit of leaping up and standing at the end of the bed whenever someone knocks at the door. That's where 'he' always stood whenever 'he' was waiting for the door to be opened. That is apparently something 'he' has been doing regularly up to that point in the story. The author either wants or expects that habitual activity to eventually stop, but it hasn't stopped yet in the story.

Basically, 'it was still going to be a little time before he didn't leap up' means 'it was still going to take a little (more) time before/until he got out of the habit of leaping up' or ' it was still going to take a little (more) time before/until his habit stopped'.

_____________________________________________
"Look before you leap for as you sow, ye are like to reap." ~ Samuel Butler
Esl_Expert

Location: Rhode Island, USA

Poem: What God has joined together, No human being must separate...meaning: hypervenerateabout that and about it.Pronoun: He did it himself. vs He did it on his own. vs He did it by himself.Is this correct?BONY SCOTLANDA question about : tiredManual - Entrepreneurial climate in VET schoolsheck's becks?The Alan's text "Learning to teach"Difference between progress and progressionWhen we use "itself" and "by itself"?"to be" and modals before adverb?