customary; routine; formal
conventional
fair
downward
residential

Why "shouldered" is used in this sentence?

What does "greasy spoon" mean? | What's the meaning of 'hors d'oeuvre'? Which language is it coming from?
Why "shouldered" is used in this sentence? #1 (permalink) Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:20 am   Why "shouldered" is used in this sentence?

ESL/EFL Test #722 "Real Life: Using Body Parts as Verbs (2)", question 1

He was really aggressive the other night. He just pushed and ......... his way through the large crowd until he reached the front of the stage. I was kind of embarrassed to be with him.

(a) shouldered
(b) armed
(c) mouthed
(d) necked

ESL/EFL Test #722 "Real Life: Using Body Parts as Verbs (2)", answer 1

He was really aggressive the other night. He just pushed and shouldered his way through the large crowd until he reached the front of the stage. I was kind of embarrassed to be with him.

Correct answer: (a) shouldered

_________________________

Can someone explain why "shouldered" is used in this sentence, please?
Mickey

Why "shouldered" is used in this sentence? #2 (permalink) Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:28 am   Why "shouldered" is used in this sentence?

shoulder: verb (used without object)
22. to push with or as if with the shoulder: to shoulder through a crowd.
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
User friendly vs. compatibleMeaning of purrWhat does 'I can't stomach this' mean?What does "averse" mean?What qualities require to be a core collecter in banking sector?meaning of swipePhrase "You soldiers better toe that line right now"Phrase: He mouths all of the words to me. He's so cute!Meaning of bond (It is a paper certificate that is issued by the Government...)Phrase: There's no such thingSentence "I only have some dollars"Why those and not these?Expression: Who wants?