entrance; permission to enter; confession
discretion
take
outlet
admission

What's the meaning of 'hors d'oeuvre'? Which language is it coming from?

Why "shouldered" is used in this sentence? | What qualities require to be a core collecter in banking sector?
What's the meaning of 'hors d'oeuvre'? Which language is it coming from? #1 (permalink) Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:35 am   What's the meaning of 'hors d'oeuvre'? Which language is it coming from?

ESL/EFL Test #718 "Real Life: Eating Out (1)", question 4

Another word for appetizer is .......... This refers to a starter dish or the first course and comes out before the main meal is served.

(a) hors d'oeuvre
(b) preview
(c) starter kit

ESL/EFL Test #718 "Real Life: Eating Out (1)", answer 4

Another word for appetizer is hors d'oeuvre. This refers to a starter dish or the first course and comes out before the main meal is served.

Correct answer: (a) hors d'oeuvre

Another word for appetizer is starter kit. This refers to a starter dish or the first course and comes out before the main meal is served.
_________________________

What's the meaning of "hors d'oeuvre"?Which language is it coming from?
Svitlana_Morokhovych

What's the meaning of 'hors d'oeuvre'? Which language is it coming from? #2 (permalink) Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:31 am   What's the meaning of 'hors d'oeuvre'? Which language is it coming from?

It is French: hors d'oeuvre.
_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
User friendly vs. compatibleMeaning of purrWhat does 'I can't stomach this' mean?What does "averse" mean?meaning of swipePhrase "You soldiers better toe that line right now"Phrase: He mouths all of the words to me. He's so cute!What does "greasy spoon" mean?Meaning of bond (It is a paper certificate that is issued by the Government...)Phrase: There's no such thingSentence "I only have some dollars"Why those and not these?Expression: Who wants?