Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

seemingly; probably
likely
above
further
nevertheless
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

When we use "itself" and "by itself"?

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Slang: We are as near heaven on the sea as on the land | Manual - Entrepreneurial climate in VET schools
listening exercises
When we use "itself" and "by itself"? #1 (permalink) Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:58 am   When we use "itself" and "by itself"?

"Your grammar will improve by itself." vs. "Your grammar will improve itself."
Lephuoc
You can meet me at english-test.net

When we use "itself" and "by itself"? #2 (permalink) Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:35 pm   When we use "itself" and "by itself"?

Hi Lephuoc,

'By itself' suggests 'automatically as in: The computer will close by itself.

'Improve itself' literally means 'make itself better' but it is normally used with a reflexive pronoun referring to a person as in: Charlie wanted to go to university to improve himself.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Slang: We are as near heaven on the sea as on the land | Manual - Entrepreneurial climate in VET schools
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
IF clauseIs this correct?BONY SCOTLANDgrandiloquent and magniloquentheck's becks?Paraphrase this sentences: Computational biology is the perfect combination of...Sentence: I had a slip yesterday but it wasn't a funnel though. It's about...Difference between progress and progressionmeaning of x rated lifeDifference between even, as well and too?Incorrect expression: When television became (A) popular, many people thought...Sentence: Echoes ... for radar to detect distant objects.Meanig of "before he didn't leap up"