seemingly; probably
likely
above
further
nevertheless

When we use "itself" and "by itself"?

Slang: We are as near heaven on the sea as on the land | Manual - Entrepreneurial climate in VET schools
When we use "itself" and "by itself"? #1 (permalink) Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:58 am   When we use "itself" and "by itself"?

"Your grammar will improve by itself." vs. "Your grammar will improve itself."
Lephuoc

When we use "itself" and "by itself"? #2 (permalink) Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:35 pm   When we use "itself" and "by itself"?

Hi Lephuoc,

'By itself' suggests 'automatically as in: The computer will close by itself.

'Improve itself' literally means 'make itself better' but it is normally used with a reflexive pronoun referring to a person as in: Charlie wanted to go to university to improve himself.

_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
IF clauseIs this correct?BONY SCOTLANDgrandiloquent and magniloquentheck's becks?Paraphrase this sentences: Computational biology is the perfect combination of...Sentence: I had a slip yesterday but it wasn't a funnel though. It's about...Difference between progress and progressionmeaning of x rated lifeDifference between even, as well and too?Incorrect expression: When television became (A) popular, many people thought...Sentence: Echoes ... for radar to detect distant objects.Meanig of "before he didn't leap up"