progression of steps; table of graduated rates; system of marks used for measuring
preventive
globe
lawsuit
scale

Phrasal verb turn out

What does 'the pants off of me' mean? | Can you come in tomorrow at 1:00 pm INTEAD OF Can you come on tomorrow at 1:0 pm
Phrasal verb turn out #1 (permalink) Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:03 am   Phrasal verb turn out

Test No. incompl/inter-34 "Story (3)", question 9

You see I've just turned all the lights ......... ready for the night.

(a) out
(b) in
(c) on
(d) up

Test No. incompl/inter-34 "Story (3)", answer 9

You see I've just turned all the lights out ready for the night.

Correct answer: (a) out

You see I've just turned all the lights on ready for the night.
_________________________

what is the meaning of "to turn the light out"?Please explain it in a brief.(question)
sammie

Phrasal verb turn out #2 (permalink) Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:25 am   Phrasal verb turn out

Turn out the lights = switch off the lights
_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Phrasal verb turn out #3 (permalink) Wed Apr 25, 2012 15:40 pm   Phrasal verb turn out

Hi Alan or someone. I didn`t understand why I cannot say: turned all the lights on = switch on the lights. Would be the context of all questions? Thanks.
Cristovam

Phrasal verb turn out #4 (permalink) Wed Apr 25, 2012 16:50 pm   Phrasal verb turn out

The question appears to be flawed if you look at it out of context, Cristovam.

If you mean 'ready to go to bed' then you would turn the lights off.

However, if you mean 'ready for it to get dark, so that I will still be able to see' then you would turn the lights on.

If you look at the story as a whole, you will be able to see that the speaker means the first of these two options, because they then say 'I'm ready to turn in for the night' which means 'I'm ready to go to bed'.
_________________

Phrasal verb turn out #5 (permalink) Wed Apr 25, 2012 17:05 pm   Phrasal verb turn out

Glad you decided to read the whole story.
_________________

to mail in our store receipt???which one is the best english?Test incompl/elem-191, Question 4Is the comma correct here?six routes serve???thanks for yr help!more mobile societyTest incompl/elem-177, Question 7Why are goat's babies called 'kids'?expense vs. optionDifference between a journey, trip, tourWhere shoulld be use HAVING?What does "performers" mean?