foundation; organization which provides a certain service or supports a particular cause
offer
perspective
letter
institute

Help me to choose between make and do

why not "make" instead of "made"? | Running out of patience?
Help me to choose between make and do #1 (permalink) Sat Jul 11, 2009 18:16 pm   Help me to choose between make and do

ESL/EFL Test #92 "Using Make and Do (2)", question 9

The teacher had to ......... up a new syllabus because her old one was outdated.

(a) make
(b) do
(c) made
(d) did

ESL/EFL Test #92 "Using Make and Do (2)", answer 9

The teacher had to make up a new syllabus because her old one was outdated.

Correct answer: (a) make
_________________________

Be so kind, help me to choose between make and do in this sentence. Simply can't make a choice

Valeska
Valeska

Help me to choose between make and do #2 (permalink) Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:41 am   Help me to choose between make and do

Some speakers do say 'do up' in this kind of situation, but 'make up' (=to put together; construct; compile) is by far the more common verb here.
_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Help me to choose between make and do #3 (permalink) Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:01 am   Help me to choose between make and do

Hi Valeska,

You may be interested to read two pieces I've written for the site on these two verbs:

http://www.english-test.net/lessons/5/index.html
http://www.english-test.net/lessons/24/index.html

_________________

Help me to choose between make and do #4 (permalink) Wed Nov 18, 2009 23:02 pm   Help me to choose between make and do

hi sir
here with "HAD" we should third form of verb that is made but you used here verb-1 "make" why?
Kailash

Help me to choose between make and do #5 (permalink) Wed Nov 18, 2009 23:07 pm   Help me to choose between make and do

'Make' is an infinitive, and does not change:

The teacher had to make up
The teacher has to make up
The teacher was having to make up...
_________________

What are sinuses?Do you provide a warrant? If yes, could you tell me how long and on what terms?Is this reflexive or intensive? How?ironically vs inevitablyWhat is the difference of far and remote?How to speak English?What number of groups do we use when we want to know about p-values?What does drawback mean?What does you're as good as gold mean?What is spandex?Phrases about healthI must ... (look out, look for, look in) it.What is difference between "for instance" and " for example"