attraction; closeness; liking; likeness
corruption
affinity
satisfaction
rent

Idiom 'Fair weather friend'

Meaning of 'in the pink' | What is the difference between delightful and delighted?
Idiom 'Fair weather friend' #1 (permalink) Wed Jul 15, 2009 13:53 pm   Idiom 'Fair weather friend'

ESL/EFL Test #728 "Real Life: Relationship Titles (1)", question 4

Lisa thinks that her friend, Torrie, is a ......... friend because she only seems to call when things are going well. The minute a problem arises for Lisa, Torrie doesn't answer her calls and avoids her at all costs.

(a) best
(b) pen-pal
(c) fair-weather
(d) good

ESL/EFL Test #728 "Real Life: Relationship Titles (1)", answer 4

Lisa thinks that her friend, Torrie, is a fair-weather friend because she only seems to call when things are going well. The minute a problem arises for Lisa, Torrie doesn't answer her calls and avoids her at all costs.

Correct answer: (c) fair-weather
_________________________

i can't catch up this question

Mirko
Mirko

Idiom 'Fair weather friend' #2 (permalink) Wed Jul 15, 2009 14:23 pm   Idiom 'Fair weather friend'

'Fair weather friend' is an idiom meaning a friend that supports you only in good times. The other adjectives do not apply here.
_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of "Lost my lunch"Meaning of "look what the ... dragged in"Use the "emotion" instead of feelingPhrasal verb "come from"Old hardware vs an hardware"to peter out" vs "to peter off"The order of adverbsMeaning of "pick on"What is beautician?What does institutional mean?meaning of colludeDifference of usage between 'of' and 'for'Reversion vs. revision