commercial; of commerce
independent
trade
elaborate
pertinent

Old hardware vs an hardware

Difference of usage between 'of' and 'for' | Phrasal verb "come from"
Old hardware vs an hardware #1 (permalink) Thu Jul 16, 2009 17:05 pm   Old hardware vs an hardware

ESL/EFL Test #616 "Real Life: The Internet and Websites (2)", question 1

You currently have all the newest programs. The reason your computer is running so slow is that you have old .......... You may have to buy more physical memory, a new video card, and, perhaps, a bigger hard drive if you want your computer to run faster.

(a) wires
(b) software
(c) warehouses
(d) hardware

ESL/EFL Test #616 "Real Life: The Internet and Websites (2)", answer 1

You currently have all the newest programs. The reason your computer is running so slow is that you have old hardware. You may have to buy more physical memory, a new video card, and, perhaps, a bigger hard drive if you want your computer to run faster.

Correct answer: (d) hardware
_________________________

Dear Teachers

First question:
“You currently have all the newest programs. The reason your computer is running so slow is that you have old .......... You may have to buy more physical memory, a new video card, and, perhaps, a bigger hard drive if you want your computer to run faster.”

Just to let you know that question is wrong as there should be “AN” in front of “OLD”, could you please correct this? Your web site is educational and shouldn’t have this kind of errors.

Mirko
Mirko

Old hardware vs an hardware #2 (permalink) Thu Jul 16, 2009 22:01 pm   Old hardware vs an hardware

This sentence is correct because hardware, in this case, is not a singular noun. Therefore, no "an" is required. An old hardware would be incorrect.
Also, your last sentence should read "Your website is educational and shouldn't have these kinds of errors." (because errors is plural)
_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Is "hits" a gay term for men?The reason for usage 'too'?'raise fund for the poor' or 'raise funds'?Meaning of "Lost my lunch"Meaning of "look what the ... dragged in"Use the "emotion" instead of feeling"to peter out" vs "to peter off"Idiom 'Fair weather friend'The order of adverbsMeaning of "pick on"What is the difference between delightful and delighted?meaning of 'fed up'goof up vs. goof off