person skilled in a particular area; specialist
expert
union
synthesis
essence

Meaning of "look what the ... dragged in"

Use the "emotion" instead of feeling | Meaning of "Lost my lunch"
Meaning of "look what the ... dragged in" #1 (permalink) Thu Jul 16, 2009 20:33 pm   Meaning of "look what the ... dragged in"

She couldn't help snidely saying "look what the ......... dragged in" when the presenter finally arrived 30 minutes after he was supposed to.

(a) cat
(b) mouse
(c) dog
(d) police

She couldn't help snidely saying "look what the cat dragged in" when the presenter finally arrived 30 minutes after he was supposed to.

Correct answer: (a) cat
_________________________

Sir,
I couldn't understand the meaning "look what the ........ dragged in"
Farzana

Meaning of "look what the ... dragged in" #2 (permalink) Thu Jul 16, 2009 21:58 pm   Meaning of "look what the ... dragged in"

This is an idiom that refers to someone who looks unkempt/in bad shape or form. In this case, it refers to someone who is very late and probably looks frazzled.
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of "look what the ... dragged in" #3 (permalink) Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:16 am   Meaning of "look what the ... dragged in"

Hello Linda,
I have been learning English for one year. I'm very thankful to you that you've explained me very easy way. I visited your site and I am inspired by your work. Please can you tell me what is articles? and could you show me your article? How can I learn English with you? I want to learn English as fast as I can and I will work hard for it.

Farzana
Farzana

Usage of "razzle dazzle"I want learn the slang languageIs "hits" a gay term for men?The reason for usage 'too'?'raise fund for the poor' or 'raise funds'?Phrasal verb "come from"Old hardware vs an hardware"to peter out" vs "to peter off"Idiom 'Fair weather friend'What is the difference between delightful and delighted?meaning of 'fed up'goof up vs. goof offDifference of usage between 'of' and 'for'