Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

tool for cutting consisting of a toothed blade; saying; maxim; proverb
incinerator
haze
legacy
saw
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Is it slip of head / slip by tongue?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
blue-blues | Born to animals?
listening exercises
Is it slip of head / slip by tongue? #1 (permalink) Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:01 pm   Is it slip of head / slip by tongue?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #484 "English Slang Idioms (226)", question 3

"Thanks for waiting for me. I had to give my little brother the .......... He follows me everywhere and he would have ruined our fun if he had come. He tried to follow me but I tricked him," James told his friends.

(a) fake
(b) slip
(c) run
(d) distract

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #484 "English Slang Idioms (226)", answer 3

"Thanks for waiting for me. I had to give my little brother the slip. He follows me everywhere and he would have ruined our fun if he had come. He tried to follow me but I tricked him," James told his friends.

Correct answer: (b) slip

is it slip of head /slip by tongue????

Micva
Micva

Is it slip of head / slip by tongue? #2 (permalink) Wed Jul 22, 2009 13:30 pm   Is it slip of head / slip by tongue?

In this instance it means, He avoided meeting him, probably by hiding.

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Is it slip of head / slip by tongue? #3 (permalink) Wed Jul 22, 2009 13:43 pm   Is it slip of head / slip by tongue?

Hi Micva,

Just to add - a slip of the tongue - is an expression meaning either saying something the wrong way round or saying something that you wish you hadn't said.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Is it slip of head / slip by tongue? #4 (permalink) Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:07 am   Is it slip of head / slip by tongue?

I'm a bit confused. What is the correct form of the idiom? "Slip of the tongue", "Slip by the tongue", "slip by the head" or "slip of the head"? If the four don't have the same meaning, what do the 3 lattest mean?
Johnpros
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

blue-blues | Born to animals?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What is the difference between shelter and fertilizer?A cup of coffee?What does embellish mean?What what is the difference between enunciate and articulate?What does 'tied up' mean?What is coordinating conjunction?What does two of a kind mean?English testWhat is important when it comes to auditing?What does idioms 'a land of honey and milk, having a whale of time' mean?'a long row of houses' vs 'a long row of cows'An idiom 'Keep body and soul together'Different laws? Isn't it illegal to phone while driving?