claim; requirement; strong request
grant
influence
scene
demand

Please explain why out of instead top? is the out of same as top?

Idiom: he was down on his luck | Does elegant means the way of serving the food?
Please explain why out of instead top? is the out of same as top? #1 (permalink) Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:55 am   Please explain why out of instead top? is the out of same as top?

ESL/EFL Test #63 "Issues", question 8

We panicked when we got near the house because we could see smoke issuing ......... the top bedroom window.

(a) against
(b) on
(c) out of
(d) into

ESL/EFL Test #63 "Issues", answer 8

We panicked when we got near the house because we could see smoke issuing out of the top bedroom window.

Correct answer: (c) out of

We panicked when we got near the house because we could see smoke issuing on the top bedroom window.
_________________________

Thameem

Location: Chennai

Please explain why out of instead top? is the out of same as top? #2 (permalink) Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:42 am   Please explain why out of instead top? is the out of same as top?

'Top' as used in the sentence refers to the highest bedroom window in the house and 'out of' means 'coming from.'

_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Please explain why out of instead top? is the out of same as top? #3 (permalink) Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:01 am   Please explain why out of instead top? is the out of same as top?

I got it now. thanks for the explanation.
Thameem

Location: Chennai

What does idioms 'a land of honey and milk, having a whale of time' mean?'a long row of houses' vs 'a long row of cows'An idiom 'Keep body and soul together'Different laws? Isn't it illegal to phone while driving?The sentence provides you with the slang idiom used in context...Meaning of 'make an offer for it'why is the verb dance in Past Indefinite?Meaning of the idiom "lion's share of the food"Usage of "razzle dazzle"I want learn the slang languageMeaning of palWhat does "kind of interest" mean?How can I see my progress in English tests that I finished it?