Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

main; principal; major
evasive
sound
elemental
central
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Difference between plenty of and abundant

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does this phrase mean: 'for ages'? Why don't we use an article here? | I need some advice, please!
listening exercises
Difference between plenty of and abundant #1 (permalink) Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:37 am   Difference between plenty of and abundant

Test No. incompl/advan-25 "Interviews and Jobs", question 7

I think that you've chosen a very good area of work to seek employment in because I've heard that jobs are ......... there.

(a) many
(b) abundant
(c) frequent
(d) plenty

Test No. incompl/advan-25 "Interviews and Jobs", answer 7

I think that you've chosen a very good area of work to seek employment in because I've heard that jobs are abundant there.

Correct answer: (b) abundant

Your answer was: incorrect
I think that you've chosen a very good area of work to seek employment in because I've heard that jobs are plenty there.

Why not plenty?
Doesn't plenty mean quite a lot? In my opinion, either "I've heard that jobs are quite a lot there" or "I've heard that jobs are plenty there" makes sense.

Eves
Eves

Difference between plenty of and abundant #2 (permalink) Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:38 am   Difference between plenty of and abundant

As an adjective, plenty cannot stand in the predicate position, but is used with the preposition of as an attributive modifier:

I've heard that plenty of jobs are there.

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between plenty of and abundant #3 (permalink) Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:10 am   Difference between plenty of and abundant

Mister Micawber wrote:
As an adjective, plenty cannot stand in the predicate position

Then how would you explain this:
"The gopher is very plenty on the west side of Mississippi"
or
"One pixel is plenty for pictures"
and so on...

doesnt plenty stand here in the predicate position?

thanks
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Difference between plenty of and abundant #4 (permalink) Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:35 pm   Difference between plenty of and abundant

The first is simply an error, either typographical or by the writer; it should read: The gopher is very plentiful on the west side of Mississippi.

As for the second-- One pixel is plenty for pictures-- 'plenty' here seems to me to be a pronoun (for 'plenty of pixels'), but I may be wrong. Maybe another member will express an opinion.

Difference between plenty of and abundant #5 (permalink) Tue Oct 21, 2008 13:03 pm   Difference between plenty of and abundant

dear sir,
what does "woodchuck" mean? :D
is it an animal?
Sevich
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Difference between plenty of and abundant #6 (permalink) Tue Oct 21, 2008 14:28 pm   Difference between plenty of and abundant

Yes; also called a GROUNDHOG.

Difference between plenty of and abundant #7 (permalink) Tue Mar 27, 2012 20:52 pm   Difference between plenty of and abundant

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

87 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Hello,

Can "plenty" be an adjective?

I knew it can be:

1.pronoun:means a large amount; as many or as much you need

plenty(of)
plenty of eggs/ plenty of money/ plenty of time
"Do we need more milk? "No, there is plenty in the fridge.

2.adverb
a.) plenty more = a lot
There is plenty more paper if you need it.

b.) plenty long/plenty big enough to do sth= more than long/ more than big etc
enough( to do sth)
-The rope was plenty long enough to reach the ground.

Idiom: There are plenty more fish in the sea.= There are many other people or things that are as good as the one sb has failed to get.

3.noun= a situation in which there is a large supply food, money etc.
-We have food and drink in plenty

4.determiner(used before a noun)
plenty =a lot of
There is plenty room for all of you.

If it is adjective: plentiful or plenteous(lit) syn: abundant

What does this phrase mean: 'for ages'? Why don't we use an article here? | I need some advice, please!
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Please let us know if of interest.Can you correct this sentence?meaning of "result in any way from a disease that does"?society tends to be much more mobileMy husband was brought up by his grandparents?What is the difference between look and see?Usage of "say" and "tell"Difference between to extend and to expandCurves in the bodyworkMeaning of 'get up'I can speak French...What does this expression mean: Behind the times?It's high time...