Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to cause to be acquainted; to accustom; to make something well known; to publicize
store
cushion
familiarize
lack
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What is the difference between concerning and complacent?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
How do we use this question tag: "Mustn't you"? | How to use the reflexive pronouns?
listening exercises
What is the difference between concerning and complacent? #1 (permalink) Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:15 am   What is the difference between concerning and complacent?

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #91 "Advanced Vocabulary", question 4

You must react now and not just be ......... as if there is nothing wrong.

(a) complacent
(b) combining
(c) combative
(d) concerning

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #91 "Advanced Vocabulary", answer 4

You must react now and not just be complacent as if there is nothing wrong.

Correct answer: (a) complacent

Your answer was: incorrect
You must react now and not just be concerning as if there is nothing wrong.

what is the difference between concern and complacent? Please explain.
Thameem
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

What is the difference between concerning and complacent? #2 (permalink) Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:59 am   What is the difference between concerning and complacent?

In this quiz question, 'concerning' is the wrong word form and holds the opposite meaning from the gist of the sentence. 'Unconcerned' is a possible answer.

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
What the gist is? #3 (permalink) Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:52 am   What the gist is?

Hi teachers,

I can't restore the context to catch the gist. What thought does this sentence express?

Thank you in advance,
Vladimir.

What is the difference between concerning and complacent? #4 (permalink) Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:06 am   What is the difference between concerning and complacent?

It doesn't seem to be linked to a particular action. It's just an example of a sentence where 'complacent' would be used. It means, 'You should take action now, and not just be contented with the way things are as if everything is right (because it isn't).
Language Coach

In other words... #5 (permalink) Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:55 am   In other words...

Hi teachers,

Please, check me. Could I say this way to convey the sense?

I'm not contented with such state of affaires and don't have the willing to demostrate satisfaction.

Many thanks,
Vladimir.

What is the difference between concerning and complacent? #6 (permalink) Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:22 pm   What is the difference between concerning and complacent?

Please, check my sentence. Could I say the following this way to convey meaning.

I'm not contented with such a state of affairs and am not willing to indicate satisfaction.
Language Coach

What is the difference between concerning and complacent? #7 (permalink) Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:57 pm   What is the difference between concerning and complacent?

Thank you Beeesneees!!!

As I can understand from your response my version is correct. I'm grateful for your corrections!

What is the difference between concerning and complacent? #8 (permalink) Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:24 am   What is the difference between concerning and complacent?

i also have a question about this sentence " when i take a trip, i like to get an early______" a. beginning b. start c.go d.leaving . the right answer is start. I also chose b but i'm wondering it is ok if we choose a.begining or d.leaving in this sentence?
can you help me explain?
Minh28

What is the difference between concerning and complacent? #9 (permalink) Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:58 am   What is the difference between concerning and complacent?

Although we can be said to start or begin a journey, it is not possible to 'leave' a journey, so leaving is wrong.
'Beginning' is also wrong. 'An early start' is a set phrase. indicating the setting out on a journey.
Language Coach

What is the difference between concerning and complacent? #10 (permalink) Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:39 am   What is the difference between concerning and complacent?

Thank Miss Beeesneees!!!
Minh28

How do we use this question tag: "Mustn't you"? | How to use the reflexive pronouns?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
care for' means 'he was not keen on'What is the difference if the order of words changed?catch up vs. make upSee a concert?The stove top burners are all in good working order...Supper is a main mealWhat are the kinds of size of a steak sandwich?What does "get through with you" mean?What does catch on mean?sum vs amountMeaning of disappearButting in front of others vs. butting in in front of othersMeaning of arrested