task; assignment; delegation; errand; religious delegation
wallet
news
refusal
mission

Why bottom instead end?

What does unicycle mean? | Stride vs. stalk
Why bottom instead end? #1 (permalink) Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:09 am   Why bottom instead end?

ESL/EFL Test #99 "The Parliamentary Candidate (2)", question 5

At half past eight Henry was in conference with his election agent, Andrew Higgins, at party headquarters.
Andrew: If you want my opinion, I suggest you cancel all your engagements for today and wait until the police get to the ......... of the matter.

(a) base
(b) end
(c) bottom
(d) hind

ESL/EFL Test #99 "The Parliamentary Candidate (2)", answer 5

Andrew: If you want my opinion, I suggest you cancel all your engagements for today and wait until the police get to the bottom of the matter.

Correct answer: (c) bottom

Andrew: If you want my opinion, I suggest you cancel all your engagements for today and wait until the police get to the end of the matter.
_________________________

why bottom instead end? Please explain what's the differnce between bottom and end? under what situation we use bottom or end?
Thameem

Location: Chennai

Why bottom instead end? #2 (permalink) Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:05 am   Why bottom instead end?

'The bottom of the matter' is an idiom. It means 'the solution of the matter'.
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
What is the meaning of furnish in the word?'Who was the youngest person' vs 'What was the youngest person'What is foreboding? and when we use it?Why 'is' and not 'are'?What does scary mean?What are factions?'who is speaking at this moment' vs 'who speaks at this moment'despite vs in spite ofcollision vs situationPainting for versus Painting duringWhen do we use 'make' and when 'do'?Cease vs. stopIdiom: in cold blood