traveling in an inward direction
annual
inbound
drastic
supervisory

Going abroad vs. outside

What is a plumbing leak? | Constructions: accused OF vs. blamed FOR
Going abroad vs. outside #1 (permalink) Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:20 am   Going abroad vs. outside

Test No. incompl/inter-4 "Easy Questions", question 2

Are you going ......... for your holidays this year?

(a) outside
(b) absent
(c) abroad
(d) external

Test No. incompl/inter-4 "Easy Questions", answer 2

Are you going abroad for your holidays this year?

Correct answer: (c) abroad
_________________________

i would like to know why here we couldnt use the word 'outside'. and what's the meaning of "BEING :?: go abroad"?
nikki

Going abroad vs. outside #2 (permalink) Sun Sep 04, 2005 14:11 pm   Going abroad vs. outside

'
Outside means beyond an enclosure of some sort, and we do not expect that the listener to this sentence is inside a prison or other enclosure, since s/he is merely taking a holiday from regular routine. Abroad (= overseas) is a common holiday destination for those who can afford it.

I am not clear on why you added being to your second question, but to go abroad is to travel overseas, as I said.
.
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Abroad and absent #3 (permalink) Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:27 am   Abroad and absent

For me, that sentence depend on our contexts. Are you going absent for your holidays this year? It makes sense. She or she is not going anywhere included take a vacation abroad.

Please, correct me.

Many thanks.
Watie

Location: Indonesia

Going abroad vs. outside #4 (permalink) Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:50 pm   Going abroad vs. outside

It may make sense to you, Watie, but there is nothing grammatically correct about any of your post. Please restrict yourself to asking questions, not answering them.
_________________

Going abroad vs. outside #5 (permalink) Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:15 am   Going abroad vs. outside

hello coaches
some minutes ago i attempt the test which is in intermediate level, I got 6 out of 10. Now I want to know the meaning of the word "abroad" with some examples
Harila

Location: India, andhrapradesh

Going abroad vs. outside #6 (permalink) Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:20 am   Going abroad vs. outside

Have you looked in a Learner's Dictionary, Harila?
You will find the meaning of words along with examples, so using such an aid can help you increase your independence when learning new vocabulary.

http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/abroad
_________________

Equally necessary is itto see how can we stem this tide of export...some major and minor wars as wellallusion vs. illusionMeaning of underling and underbelly'In which way' instead of in 'what way'Meaning of appreciationMeaning of exude'enjoy exquisite' versus 'enjoy explicit'Meaning of "furnished"Meaning of "running into an old flame"Meaning of ParticularlyExpression: Stop me if I've told you this before