clear; evident; simple; flat; smooth
striped
diverse
proof
plain

"out of a sense" vs "in a sense of"

What does float one's boat mean? | She had laughed is past perfect
"out of a sense" vs "in a sense of" #1 (permalink) Thu Aug 13, 2009 0:34 am   "out of a sense" vs "in a sense of"

ESL/EFL Test #653 "Prepositional Phrases - In, On, Out and Under (26)", question 2

My friends wonder how I could have turned in another friend for fraud. I guess I did it ......... a sense of responsibility to investors and society.

(a) in
(b) on
(c) out
(d) under

ESL/EFL Test #653 "Prepositional Phrases - In, On, Out and Under (26)", answer 2

My friends wonder how I could have turned in another friend for fraud. I guess I did it out a sense of responsibility to investors and society.

Correct answer: (c) out

My friends wonder how I could have turned in another friend for fraud. I guess I did it in a sense of responsibility to investors and society.
_________________________

Hi Alan,

I guess it should be "out of a sense", or "in a sense of". Correct me, please.

Starr
Starr

"out of a sense" vs "in a sense of" #2 (permalink) Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:59 am   "out of a sense" vs "in a sense of"

Hi Starr,

You are right. That needs to be changed to 'out of a sense of'. Thanks for that.

_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
A good dictionary for slang idiomsliability is not a debit or creditDo you have questions not about elephants?Meaning of 'Species'Throughout at the beginning of a sentence?What does "scenic spot" mean?Why is rye uncountable?'If you look out the window' vs 'If you look out of the window'Meaning of murdererWhat does the expression 'seeing forest from trees' mean?Do we say 'to get hold of money' to say 'to make a lot of money'?meaning of deviateHe lost interest in it vs. he lost his interest