to worry; to cause concern; to annoy; to bother; to disturb
trouble
loan
sample
participate

The Mariner.

The Killer. | The Vase. Part One.
The Mariner. #1 (permalink) Sun Aug 16, 2009 16:54 pm   The Mariner.

The night I joined the "Goodhope" was the worst night imaginable for weather.

This was to be my first night at sea and I couldn't have chosen a worse one for my maiden voyage.

I had always longed to go to sea, and when the Captain said he was looking for a deck-hand I was delighted to take the position.
I had for so very long dreamed of going to sea, and in spite of my Mother's protestation about the many dangers I might encounter, I was determined to sign-on as deckhand to the Goodhope.

When I arrived at our berth the sea appeared mountainous.
My heart sank into my new sea-boots, and I hoped that perhaps we would put off casting-off our mooring ropes and venturing forth in such arduous conditions, but Captain Jenkins was a seasoned old sea-dog, and a little bad weather wasn't going to put him off.

"Get for'ard lad and cast off. It may be a bit heavy but we will get through all right, never fear. I've sailed in far worse conditions than this and never lost a man in twenty-two years."

His words sounded mighty brave for someone who would be spending the entire trip in a warm wheelhouse, while I had to walk the decks on this floating nightmare.
He'd be snug in there with his cocoa and his pipe, but I wouldn't even be able to have a smoke on this god-forsaken deck.

I huddled behind the wheelhouse as we gently nudged into the swell.
We didn't seem to be making any headway against this heaving tide, but I knew that we were as we slowly passed the other anchored ships in the bay.

As my legs started to become accustomed to the swaying deck I felt the first signs of my uneasy stomach relaying to my landlubbers brain that I was about to be sea-sick.

Luckily for me the Captain was unable to see me heaving my insides at the rear of the boat. I felt terrible.

How long would I have to endure this nausea and feeling of dying?.
Not too long I hoped.
We forged slowly ahead and I realised that we were making headway in spite of the heavily rolling seas.

My eyes were being stung by the spray being whipped up by the gusting winds. I felt cold, wet, and sick.

Maybe I should have listened to my Mother's warnings after all.
I really felt bitter toward the whole world.
This isn't how I had imagined life at sea, oh no, not at all.

The Captain rang the heavy bell and the ramp slowly lowered into the water and slid up the landing platform. I rushed forward and cast the mooring-line around the huge steel capstan.
I opened the boarding gates and the two solitary cars drove off the ferry.

I turned to face the wheelhouse and the Captain gave me a cheery thumbs-up sign.
He'd make a sailor of me yet!

_________________

The Mariner. #2 (permalink) Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:43 pm   The Mariner.

Wonderful!!

I was 9-10 years old when asked my father to take me somewhere in the evening.And he took me to the boulevard, a huge park situated on the seaside of the Caspian Sea in Baku. There were many boats. He looked at me and asked, if I wanted a sea trip.Of course I wanted. It was probably for 30-40 minutes. We sat on benchs in a closed part and from window I could see a run and seaweed.Then we moved to the front section, and after several years I can remember the blue harmony of the sky and the Caspian Sea and voice of sea-gulls.
Years later when we bought tickets for such a trip with my groupmates I was afraid when we moved off the land and I thought, I would never get back :)

I don't know why, but I remembered all these when read your story.

~Phoebe
_________________
incomplete....
Kiprida

Location: Baku, Azerbaijan

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
The Killer. | The Vase. Part One.
Titanic.The Vase. Conclusion.Why you should learn words in context...The Vase. Part 3.The Vase. Part two.The thing in the Cellar.Sentence: if the pet-sitter is a business life professional who watches people'sCatch me if you can.The destiny should not be centered around people...Discussion the trend of Vietnamese young music.The Creature.Arguments for the topic is 'first deserve then desire'Old Nellie.