Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

continuing; enduring; remaining for a long time; durable
talkative
emergency
lasting
horrible
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Why you should learn words in context...

ESL Forum | What do you want to talk about?
The Vase. Part 3. | The destiny should not be centered around people...
listening exercises
Why you should learn words in context... #1 (permalink) Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:45 am   Why you should learn words in context...

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

338 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Hi,

CONTEXT

We get many questions on the forum about the meaning of words. Incidentally don't forget, the best way to ask this sort of question is: What does*** mean? We give answers to these questions but I often wonder whether the message goes home, whether the meaning is clear because you can't really know what a word means until you can see it at work in a phrase or a sentence.

Any word explained in isolation doesn't help very much. If for example someone asks for the meaning of the word 'honestly', and I said this means 'behaving in an honest way', are you any the wiser? You might then come across a snatch of conversation like this: I don't honestly know what you're talking about. Does my definition of 'honestly' help? Not really, does it? And that brings me to the title of my topic 'Context'.

If you know what a word means in a special context, that is when the word is used in a particular statement/sentence so that you can understand the meaning, you are on the way to success. I always try (well, I do most times) to show a word 'at work', in other words, show it as used in a sentence. It's no good just getting a simile (a word that's almost the same) and thinking you know the meaning. Don't just learn lots of separate words, learn them in a context, in a setting, doing a job of work. Look up the word in a big dictionary, I mean the sort of dictionary that shows the word used in a sentence. Then you can use the word with confidence.

Good luck.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Context #2 (permalink) Tue Aug 18, 2009 13:51 pm   Context

Hi, I have a problem with this recording. It sounds a bit like Mickey Mouse. What might be the problem?
Sspike

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Context #3 (permalink) Tue Aug 18, 2009 13:54 pm   Context

Hi,

I hope it's not me! I trust I don't sound like Mickey Mouse.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

The Vase. Part 3. | The destiny should not be centered around people...
ESL Forum | What do you want to talk about? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Grammar (Is it really 40 years ago since man first landed on the moon?)The Ghost in the lane.Titanic.The Vase. Conclusion.The Vase. Part 4.The Vase. Part two.The thing in the Cellar.The Mariner.Sentence: if the pet-sitter is a business life professional who watches people'sThe Vase. Part One.Catch me if you can.The Creature.The Killer.