quite; sufficiently; fairly
counter
seamlessly
enough
rarely

'On the microscope' vs 'under the microscope'

Meaning of "over board" | What is "verbal diarrhea"?
'On the microscope' vs 'under the microscope' #1 (permalink) Tue Aug 18, 2009 13:41 pm   'On the microscope' vs 'under the microscope'

ESL/EFL Test #653 "Prepositional Phrases - In, On, Out and Under (26)", question 4

The Bureau of Internal Affairs has had my department ......... the microscope for a whole week now; searching for any signs of wrongdoing or mistakes.

(a) in
(b) on
(c) out
(d) under

ESL/EFL Test #653 "Prepositional Phrases - In, On, Out and Under (26)", answer 4

The Bureau of Internal Affairs has had my department under the microscope for a whole week now; searching for any signs of wrongdoing or mistakes.

Correct answer: (d) under
_________________________

Hello, why canīt be "on". tanks

pulidogato
pulidogato

'On the microscope' vs 'under the microscope' #2 (permalink) Tue Aug 18, 2009 14:02 pm   'On the microscope' vs 'under the microscope'

'On the microscope' is not an English collocation. Things to be examined are placed under a microscope. Only your hat could be placed on your microscope.
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
What is meaning of "the right-of-way?Meaning of "Pass on"What does "all blue skies" mean?Expression: Go to answerWhat is "Canadian geese flying in formation" means?What does "marching in formation" mean?How can I learn English grammar?Things such as "lives in the outskirts of"...I don't think you are going to get your damage deposit back...I'm here to inform you that I'm pressing charges against...meaning of "six pack" referring to "muscles" or 'work out'Phrase: how much you owe each of your vendorsWhen do we use "their" and they're in the sentence?