to consent; to concur; to suit; to have the same opinion; to fit
agree
fertilize
amount
lesson

The Vase. Part 4.

Titanic. | English literature (Daniel Defoe, Salman Rushdie, Truman Capote, Shakespeare, ...
The Vase. Part 4. #1 (permalink) Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:51 am   The Vase. Part 4.

Now that that money was safe in the bank I returned home feeling a little more secure.
My wife was also relieved to know that our account at the bank was some two-hundred and thirty pounds more than it had been, and all thanks to the vase.

The problem now was that the vase didn't reward us when we repeated insults that we had already used more than a couple of times, and even then only the odd pound coin.
What were we to do next?

We trotted-out the usual insults but after fifteen minutes we had only gained ten one pound coins.This was getting us nowhere fast.
Our heads were aching trying to think of new ways to please the vase and also increase our rewards.

I've got it," my wife shouted. "What if we were to insult other people, maybe that will start the cash flowing again."
"Maybe," I replied. "Let's just wait for the postman to deliver the mail shortly, then we'll see what happens.

The hapless postman walked slowly up the path and was about to pop our mail through the letter-box, when the door was flung open wide, and both my wife and I started hurling insults at him.

He stood there dumbfounded. His hesitation afforded us the time to exhaust our full repertoire of insults, and we both stood there breathless from the effort when we were finished..
The poor postman gave us a strange look and shook his head, then he walked slowly back down the path.

Back into the living room we ran and we were overjoyed to see the vase almost full of notes and coins.
"Yes," screamed my wife, punching the air.

We hugged each other at our success, but we had to quickly draw apart as the coins started to disappear again.
Back into the garden we went to talk.

My wife was breathless with excitement.
Well, now we know just what we have to do, insult everyone we meet and just sit back and watch the money roll in."
"Yes, but we will soon run out of friends at this rate. Better we just stick to strangers if we possibly can."

"I don't agree," said my wife. "If we can make enough money to pay off our mortgage we can buy a nicer house in a better area, and we will make new friends."
"OK, I reluctantly agreed, let's just see how it works out."

Over the next few weeks we insulted several of our neighbours and every person who came to the door.
Making two-hundred a day was no problem for us.
We soon built a routine whereby we could fire our complete arsenal of insults, including the swear words, in a couple of minutes.
We only had to ignore the protestations from the recipient of our insults.
No-one was above being insulted by us, and very soon everyone in the area started to steer clear of our house.

We didn't care a jot. We were making a fortune, and very soon my face was more than welcome at the bank. I was becoming one of their most affluent customers.

The Vase. Part One.

The Vase. Conclusion.
_________________

The Vase. Part 4. #2 (permalink) Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:51 am   The Vase. Part 4.

Rather intriguing. :)
SkiIucK

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
The Vase. Part 4. #3 (permalink) Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:02 pm   The Vase. Part 4.

Kitos,

"Your" wife is cute and problemsolving :)

Funny :)

What will happen if you dropped the vase and it worked vice versa? Then after couple of days sweet words said to each other won't be enough and you will need friends!!!! :)

~Phoebe
_________________
incomplete....
Kiprida

Location: Baku, Azerbaijan

The Vase. Part 4. #4 (permalink) Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:59 pm   The Vase. Part 4.

Welcome back Ski. I thought you had disappeared.

Bill.
_________________

The Vase. Part 4. #5 (permalink) Wed Aug 19, 2009 14:00 pm   The Vase. Part 4.

Not at all, Bill. But I'm going to disappear in two days for an indefinite amount of time.

Nonetheless, keep up the good work. Your contributions as well as this site's team's are invaluable.

Cheers,

Ski
SkiIucK

The Vase. Part 4. #6 (permalink) Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:07 am   The Vase. Part 4.

Kitosdad wrote:

Bill.

Gray, Honey and Someone are also missing :?
_________________
incomplete....
Kiprida

Location: Baku, Azerbaijan

The Vase. Part 4. #7 (permalink) Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:14 am   The Vase. Part 4.

But thankfully there are many readers, although most choose to make no comment.

I often wonder why.

_________________

The Vase. Part 4. #8 (permalink) Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:22 am   The Vase. Part 4.

Yes!

I've paid attention to column names : views and replies. There is very big difference between that numbers.

I think most of readers pass the stories, they need questions requiring 'yes'/'no' answers.

~Phoebe
_________________
incomplete....
Kiprida

Location: Baku, Azerbaijan

How to become famous.Grammar (Is it really 40 years ago since man first landed on the moon?)What about if man stay home and his wife goes work?Would you turn in a family member?The Ghost in the lane.The Woman in the garden.The Vase. Conclusion.Why you should learn words in context...The Vase. Part 3.The Vase. Part two.The thing in the Cellar.The Vase. Part One.Catch me if you can.