exertion of force; application of weight; weight; burden; encumbrance
pressure
innocent
travel
preference

meaning of "Address the issue"

a slowly moving propeller | 'I couldn't agree with you more' = 'I agree with you completely'
meaning of "Address the issue" #1 (permalink) Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:22 am   meaning of "Address the issue"

Test No. incompl/inter-60 "Cliches", question 3

I really think we should talk about the subject we wanted to in the first place and ......... the issue.

(a) advise
(b) speak
(c) address
(d) talk

Test No. incompl/inter-60 "Cliches", answer 3

I really think we should talk about the subject we wanted to in the first place and address the issue.

Correct answer: (c) address

Hi! I don't get it!!! Meaning of Address the issue

Thank you for your help
Pupil
_________________
the more we learn
the less we know
Pupil

Address #2 (permalink) Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:35 am   Address

'Address the issue' means face up to the question/consider the matter - in other words do something practical about a certain subject.

_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Address #3 (permalink) Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:39 am   Address

Hi Alan, thank you
Pupil
_________________
the more we learn
the less we know
Pupil

meaning of "Address the issue" #4 (permalink) Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:33 am   meaning of "Address the issue"

In this context, can I use "talk about"?
Cdt

meaning of "Address the issue" #5 (permalink) Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:12 am   meaning of "Address the issue"

No... notice that the example given already starts with, "we should talk about..."
Having spoken about the issue, and clearly identified it, then 'addressing it' means taking action - doing something practical about it, as Alan has already explained.
_________________

meaning of "Address the issue" #6 (permalink) Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:16 am   meaning of "Address the issue"

Thank you very much. I am trying to learn English each day. I hope I can get alot of help from you, thanks again.
Cdt

address the issue #7 (permalink) Mon Dec 27, 2010 14:22 pm   address the issue

Hello BZ,

Is this sentence can mean this: " I really think we should talk about the subject we wanted to in the first place so it's high time we addressed the issue." ?
Kati
_________________

meaning of "Address the issue" #8 (permalink) Mon Dec 27, 2010 15:02 pm   meaning of "Address the issue"

You could say that, though it is a very long-winded, repetitive way of putting it.
'I really think we should address the issue that we wanted to talk about in the first place."
_________________

question 3 #9 (permalink) Mon Dec 27, 2010 15:55 pm   question 3

Thanks BZ, then I interpreted well the sentence but I didn't know to get it in concise style.
Kati
_________________

It doesn't cut the mustard....You really cut the Gordian knot...= you are really solved the problemcut some me some slack means leave me alone...cut off my nose to spite my face means to make things worsecut your deadline pretty fineHe can cut a rug means he is very good at dancing.curry favor vs. carry favorThis room stinks!Is my sentence correct?curiosity killed the cat.a cuckoo in the nestThey called him a crybabycrying his eyes out