Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

exertion of force; application of weight; weight; burden; encumbrance
pressure
innocent
travel
preference
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

meaning of "Address the issue"

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
a slowly moving propeller | 'I couldn't agree with you more' = 'I agree with you completely'
listening exercises
meaning of "Address the issue" #1 (permalink) Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:22 am   meaning of "Address the issue"

Test No. incompl/inter-60 "Cliches", question 3

I really think we should talk about the subject we wanted to in the first place and ......... the issue.

(a) advise
(b) speak
(c) address
(d) talk

Test No. incompl/inter-60 "Cliches", answer 3

I really think we should talk about the subject we wanted to in the first place and address the issue.

Correct answer: (c) address

Hi! I don't get it!!! Meaning of Address the issue

Thank you for your help
Pupil
I'm here quite often ;-)

Address #2 (permalink) Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:35 am   Address

Hi,

'Address the issue' means face up to the question/consider the matter - in other words do something practical about a certain subject.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Address #3 (permalink) Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:39 am   Address

Alan wrote:
Hi,

'Address the issue' means face up to the question/consider the matter - in other words do something practical about a certain subject.

Alan

Hi Alan, thank you
Pupil
I'm here quite often ;-)

meaning of "Address the issue" #4 (permalink) Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:33 am   meaning of "Address the issue"

Hi,
In this context, can I use "talk about"?
Cdt
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

meaning of "Address the issue" #5 (permalink) Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:12 am   meaning of "Address the issue"

No... notice that the example given already starts with, "we should talk about..."
Having spoken about the issue, and clearly identified it, then 'addressing it' means taking action - doing something practical about it, as Alan has already explained.
Language Coach

meaning of "Address the issue" #6 (permalink) Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:16 am   meaning of "Address the issue"

Thank you very much. I am trying to learn English each day. I hope I can get alot of help from you, thanks again.
Cdt
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

address the issue #7 (permalink) Mon Dec 27, 2010 14:22 pm   address the issue

Hello BZ,

Is this sentence can mean this: " I really think we should talk about the subject we wanted to in the first place so it's high time we addressed the issue." ?
Kati

meaning of "Address the issue" #8 (permalink) Mon Dec 27, 2010 15:02 pm   meaning of "Address the issue"

You could say that, though it is a very long-winded, repetitive way of putting it.
'I really think we should address the issue that we wanted to talk about in the first place."
Language Coach

question 3 #9 (permalink) Mon Dec 27, 2010 15:55 pm   question 3

Thanks BZ, then I interpreted well the sentence but I didn't know to get it in concise style.
Kati

a slowly moving propeller | 'I couldn't agree with you more' = 'I agree with you completely'
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
It doesn't cut the mustard....You really cut the Gordian knot...= you are really solved the problemcut some me some slack means leave me alone...cut off my nose to spite my face means to make things worsecut your deadline pretty fineHe can cut a rug means he is very good at dancing.curry favor vs. carry favorThis room stinks!Is my sentence correct?curiosity killed the cat.a cuckoo in the nestThey called him a crybabycrying his eyes out