Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

prepared; set; eager; willing; quick; fast
ample
comfortable
ready
few
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does household mean?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Other vs. another | send a phone number by snail mail having written it on the handed piece of paper
listening exercises
What does household mean? #1 (permalink) Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:53 am   What does household mean?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #716 "Real Life: Household Chores (2)", question 2

I have to do laundry today. Help me collect all of the clothes so I can drive them over to the .......... By the way, do you have any quarters?

(a) Trash collector
(b) Laundromat
(c) Lawnmower

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #716 "Real Life: Household Chores (2)", answer 2

I have to do laundry today. Help me collect all of the clothes so I can drive them over to the Laundromat. By the way, do you have any quarters?

Correct answer: (b) Laundromat

what is the real mean of household

ajay
AjayC

What does household mean? #2 (permalink) Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:42 pm   What does household mean?

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

68 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Hi EL,

'Household' refers in general to everyone living in a particular house. When it is used as an adjective, as it is in the test sentence, it refers to everything connected to or concerned with the particular house.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
What does household mean? #3 (permalink) Fri Jun 28, 2013 20:03 pm   What does household mean?

quarters? - please explain.
thanks.
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What does household mean? #4 (permalink) Fri Jun 28, 2013 20:20 pm   What does household mean?

Hi Saneta,

Your 'quarters' is the place/room/accommodation to which you have been allocated by some authority. It is often used to describe the accommodation provided for military personnel.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Other vs. another | send a phone number by snail mail having written it on the handed piece of paper
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Test incompl/inter-274, Question 10for an agreed upon amountso I could have her call youDavid withheld information during the criminal investigationThe writer or author of verses is called a poet.a litter of puppiesI know it's hard, but you have to stick with itWho is uncle?Can you give me an example of irony?difference between dither and distractwhy should be fly instead of flow?difference between setting, sketch and sonnetmeaning of satire