counsel; guidance; specific information; hint
identification
location
advice
utilization

Difference between supressed and muffled

Meaning of "Put across" | Is I ate already correct?
Difference between supressed and muffled #1 (permalink) Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:42 am   Difference between supressed and muffled

Test No. incompl/inter-42 "Keeping it Quiet", question 9

The villagers complained about the noise from the daily bell ringing practice from the church and asked if it could somehow be ..........

(a) suppressed
(b) stifled
(c) muffled
(d) wrapped

Test No. incompl/inter-42 "Keeping it Quiet", answer 9

The villagers complained about the noise from the daily bell ringing practice from the church and asked if it could somehow be muffled.

Correct answer: (c) muffled

The villagers complained about the noise from the daily bell ringing practice from the church and asked if it could somehow be suppressed.
_________________________

Hi,Alan
I confuse on those two words.In this sentence, in my opinion,I think the villager must want to stop the bell ringing.Muffle means deaden the sound while suppress means put down.Am I right?
Thanks for your help!
Strawberry girl

Difference between supressed and muffled #2 (permalink) Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:35 am   Difference between supressed and muffled

Yes, this means deaden the sound. Suppress is to keep down abstract ideas like emotions/opposition/laughter.

_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between supressed and muffled #3 (permalink) Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:38 am   Difference between supressed and muffled

Please explain to me: ,,from the daily bell ringing practice from the church '' - what does the word:,, practice'' have a sense in it? Thanks.

Difference between supressed and muffled #4 (permalink) Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:54 am   Difference between supressed and muffled

Hi Saneta,

'Practice' is something you do regularly in order to improve a particular skill. You can practise playing the piano every day in order to play the piano better. Note in British English we make a distinction between 'practice' noun and 'practise' verb.

_________________

Difference between supressed and muffled #5 (permalink) Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:17 am   Difference between supressed and muffled

I though the correct answer was "supress" because there is no sense to make muffled the sound of the bell. The bell exist to catch attention of the people for something. Regards.
Cristovam

Difference between supressed and muffled #6 (permalink) Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:18 am   Difference between supressed and muffled

I though the correct answer was "suppress" because there is no sense to make muffled the sound of the bell. The bell exist to catch attention of the people for something. Regards.
Cristovam

Difference between supressed and muffled #7 (permalink) Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:36 am   Difference between supressed and muffled

Sometimes bell ringers fit a device to a bell so that the clapper is fixed and you only hear the sound of the bell swinging from side to side. In that sense the sound is muffled.

_________________
You can read my ESL story Passive Voice

Test incompl/inter-222, Question 4Test incompl/inter-222, User's Answer 3Test incompl/elem-191, User's Answer 10What does pass away mean?Takes afterTotal confusion!Debt vs. debitwhy in this sentence we can not use leaved?difference between happen to and come to?Difference between mess and messyPrepositions: "far from", "next to"Difference between "name" and "call" herWhat does "to mark down" mean?