appointment; proposal of a candidate (for an office or an honor)
nomination
central
due
development

What does "we don't get to pick them" mean?

an you imagine what our world would be like | Ought to vs. should
What does "we don't get to pick them" mean? #1 (permalink) Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:49 am   What does "we don't get to pick them" mean?

"Everyone grab a shaving kit. They are all similar. Grab the first one you come to. You don't get to pick and .......... You better hurry up!" the Drill Sergeant told the new recruits during their reception into Basic Training.

(a) choose
(b) analyze
(c) eye
(d) look

"Everyone grab a shaving kit. They are all similar. Grab the first one you come to. You don't get to pick and choose. You better hurry up!" the Drill Sergeant told the new recruits during their reception into Basic Training.

Correct answer: (a) choose

_________________________

what does "we don't get to pick them" mean?
Gitty

What does "we don't get to pick them" mean? #2 (permalink) Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:16 am   What does "we don't get to pick them" mean?

The full expression is 'pick and choose', which means to be particular about what you select. If you don't get to pick and choose, this suggests you don't have the possibility of choosing exactly what you want. 'Pick' on its own is another word for 'choose'. It can also mean to take from a tree as in 'pick fruit'. At the end of the summer in the UK you often see a sign saying: PYO. This means 'pick your own' and you can go to the farm and pick the soft fruit such as raspberries or strawberries from the bushes and then pay for the amount you have taken.

_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of the phrase "make people's day"need doing vs. needs to doMeaning of "policy holder"A question for native speakers of English.What does 'hide' mean?walk the dog?What is a check-out lane?Could you please explain what this sentence is about?Whats the meaning of until and so that?Present simple after 'when'?What does "well-off" mean?Why eight degrees below zero? (temperature)Possessive pronouns vs. possessive adjectives