spot; speck; part (the point) in an Internet web address
dot
pointer
lumber
conclusion

need doing vs. needs to do

Why eight degrees below zero? (temperature) | Meaning of the phrase "make people's day"
need doing vs. needs to do #1 (permalink) Mon Sep 21, 2009 16:16 pm   need doing vs. needs to do

Hello!

Which is the correct choice in the following sentence and what is the rule applying here?

"A lot .................. to the house before we can move in."
a. needs be doing
b. needs done
c. needs doing
d. needs to do

Thanks!
Dorel

need doing vs. needs to do #2 (permalink) Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:44 am   need doing vs. needs to do

'Needs doing' or 'needs to be done' but the latter is not among the answers offered.
_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
need doing vs. needs to do #3 (permalink) Tue Sep 22, 2009 17:39 pm   need doing vs. needs to do

Ok, thanks a lot!
I agree, your suggestion, which is not among the answers, is the best and the one that I am used to. The others just seem so weird... But still, is the correct option used in any instances of the language? I "Googled" it a little but found no sentences containing the structure.
Dorel

need doing vs. needs to do #4 (permalink) Tue Sep 22, 2009 23:49 pm   need doing vs. needs to do

Yes. It is used more in British English.
_________________

Why the prep "at" isn't suitable?I am unsure but is it possible that 'my' should in fact be "me"?What is the meaning of gasket?"I am at hire" vs "I am for hire""out at sea" vs "out for sea"Difference between skating and skiingMeaning of "policy holder"A question for native speakers of English.What does 'hide' mean?walk the dog?What is a check-out lane?What does "we don't get to pick them" mean?an you imagine what our world would be like