clear; exact; precise; quick
competent
perfect
environmental
express

"out at sea" vs "out for sea"

"I am at hire" vs "I am for hire" | I am unsure but is it possible that 'my' should in fact be "me"?
"out at sea" vs "out for sea" #1 (permalink) Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:35 am   "out at sea" vs "out for sea"

ESL/EFL Test #664 "Prepositional Phrases - At, By, For and To (2)", question 5

My brother is in the Navy and he is coming home on leave in a week. He has been out ......... sea for more than six months now and I miss him.

(a) at
(b) by
(c) for
(d) to

ESL/EFL Test #664 "Prepositional Phrases - At, By, For and To (2)", answer 5

My brother is in the Navy and he is coming home on leave in a week. He has been out at sea for more than six months now and I miss him.

Correct answer: (a) at

My brother is in the Navy and he is coming home on leave in a week. He has been out for sea for more than six months now and I miss him.
_________________________

How at sea is correct,why not for sea? What is the difference?

Rosa Rimli
Rosa Rimli

"out at sea" vs "out for sea" #2 (permalink) Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:42 am   "out at sea" vs "out for sea"

'For' is not used in this collocation.
_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Phrase 'Make yourself comfortable'what is commercial accounting? its importance and purpose?What are the corporate social responsibilities taken up by retail market?contortionist vs. jugglerMeaning of "physical supply chain"Why the prep "at" isn't suitable?What is the meaning of gasket?Difference between skating and skiingMeaning of the phrase "make people's day"need doing vs. needs to doMeaning of "policy holder"A question for native speakers of English.What does 'hide' mean?