Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

clear; exact; precise; quick
competent
perfect
environmental
express
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

"out at sea" vs "out for sea"

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
"I am at hire" vs "I am for hire" | I am unsure but is it possible that 'my' should in fact be "me"?
listening exercises
"out at sea" vs "out for sea" #1 (permalink) Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:35 am   "out at sea" vs "out for sea"

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #664 "Prepositional Phrases - At, By, For and To (2)", question 5

My brother is in the Navy and he is coming home on leave in a week. He has been out ......... sea for more than six months now and I miss him.

(a) at
(b) by
(c) for
(d) to

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #664 "Prepositional Phrases - At, By, For and To (2)", answer 5

My brother is in the Navy and he is coming home on leave in a week. He has been out at sea for more than six months now and I miss him.

Correct answer: (a) at

Your answer was: incorrect
My brother is in the Navy and he is coming home on leave in a week. He has been out for sea for more than six months now and I miss him.

How at sea is correct,why not for sea? What is the difference?

Rosa Rimli
Rosa Rimli

"out at sea" vs "out for sea" #2 (permalink) Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:42 am   "out at sea" vs "out for sea"

'For' is not used in this collocation.

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
"I am at hire" vs "I am for hire" | I am unsure but is it possible that 'my' should in fact be "me"?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Phrase 'Make yourself comfortable'what is commercial accounting? its importance and purpose?What are the corporate social responsibilities taken up by retail market?contortionist vs. jugglerMeaning of "physical supply chain"Why the prep "at" isn't suitable?What is the meaning of gasket?Difference between skating and skiingMeaning of the phrase "make people's day"need doing vs. needs to doMeaning of "policy holder"A question for native speakers of English.What does 'hide' mean?