conformity; agreement; coordination; suitability
notebook
accordance
wrench
seminar

Is bend the right word to use?

Why doesn't "knee long" make sense? | what is dandle?
Is bend the right word to use? #1 (permalink) Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:13 am   Is bend the right word to use?

ESL/EFL Test #103 "Charlie's Knees", question 10

What poor Charlie didn't know before was that Maria loved telling others what to do and so he had to do as he was told and ......... the knee.

(a) stretch
(b) pull
(c) lower
(d) bend

ESL/EFL Test #103 "Charlie's Knees", answer 10

What poor Charlie didn't know before was that Maria loved telling others what to do and so he had to do as he was told and bend the knee.

Correct answer: (d) bend
_________________________

is bend the right word to use?
Lotinmaxceau

Location: Cayes, HAITI

Is bend the right word to use? #2 (permalink) Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:13 am   Is bend the right word to use?

Yes
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Is bend the right word to use? #3 (permalink) Wed Sep 28, 2011 15:18 pm   Is bend the right word to use?

1.in what context there is 'bend the knee'= Charlie surrendered in front of Maria and did what she had wanted him to do? or literally?
2. why not: What poor Charlie hadn't known before...etc.

many thanks

Is bend the right word to use? #4 (permalink) Wed Sep 28, 2011 15:24 pm   Is bend the right word to use?

1-- Not literally. It is metaphoric of a lesser personage doing homage to royalty.
2-- 'Before' clearly identifies the order of past events, so past perfect is not called for.
_________________

Right just one moreCleft sentences and use of EnglishWhat does performance mean?holding meetings and delivering papersCould OR can?Simple past + past continuous'to learn to speak English' vs. 'to learn speak English'Commence vs. StartCan vs. be able tountil he had seen vs. until he sawMeaning of walkaboutWhat does "at his mother's knee" mean?Idiom: they've been walking out together