Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to confirm to be true; to authorize
mollify
invent
satisfy
certify
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Tell the time by him because he always finished work...

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What is a mover? | A youth is a young person
listening exercises
Tell the time by him because he always finished work... #1 (permalink) Sun May 16, 2004 12:50 pm   Tell the time by him because he always finished work...

hi Alan !!

Can you explain the meaning of this sentence please?

Test No. incompl/elem-5 "Finish/End", question 8

You could tell the time by him because he always ......... work at exactly the same time every day.

(a) ends
(b) ended
(c) finish
(d) finished

Test No. incompl/elem-5 "Finish/End", answer 8

You could tell the time by him because he always finished work at exactly the same time every day.

Correct answer: (d) finished

Thank you in advance Iza
:D
Iza
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Time #2 (permalink) Mon May 17, 2004 9:16 am   Time

Hi,

This means that you knew exactly what the time was because he stopped work at the same time every day - in other words when you saw him stop work then you knew it must be for example 5.30.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Tell the time... #3 (permalink) Tue May 18, 2004 10:48 am   Tell the time...

Thank You very much Alan :-).
Iza
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Finished? #4 (permalink) Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:28 am   Finished?

Ok, that's a good explanation but why you didn't choose ends because as the sentence let us know; the activity is a normally one that the person does, so simple present is used for this kind of particular activities. Could you explain that, please
TAVO

Uhm... #5 (permalink) Wed Jun 22, 2005 19:50 pm   Uhm...

It might be because of the fact that in this sentece the modal auxiliary verb "could" is used thus indicating past tense.
Rich7
I'm here quite often ;-)

Tell the time... #6 (permalink) Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:43 am   Tell the time...

Dear Alan,

Why it isn't ends?
thuytienhana

Simple present tense #7 (permalink) Sat Dec 03, 2005 15:00 pm   Simple present tense

This sentence has two words that are context clues. These are "always" and "every day". So this sentence is in simple present tense.
A

Tell the time... #8 (permalink) Wed May 03, 2006 20:28 pm   Tell the time...

Dear Alin:

I'm new in this forum and this is the first question I ask becuause I was confused when correct answer was finished! "he always" in the present , so, why did we choose "finished" which is a verb in the past...?

Thanx in advance, wish you a nice day..

Niveen
Niveen

Tell the time... #9 (permalink) Wed May 03, 2006 21:10 pm   Tell the time...

Hi everybody

Yes, the word 'always' is very often found in a present tense sentence. But it can also be used with other tenses.

As Rich7 mentioned, the word 'could' is also the past tense of 'can'.

For example, maybe we're talking about someone who worked in our company in the past. He retired last year, so he's not here (in the company) now. In that case, you can talk about what he always did every day when he worked here. And that would all be in the past.

Does that help?
Amy

Thanx :) #10 (permalink) Thu May 04, 2006 20:46 pm   Thanx :)

Dear Amy:

your answer is very helpful, I'm now convinced, Thank You....
All the Best,
Niveen.
Niveen

end or finish #11 (permalink) Sun Jul 06, 2008 20:21 pm   end or finish

Hi Torsten and the all forum mates,

I did the test and I got 6 right out of 10. I couldn't understand the rule for number 8. It is past simple withouth specific point in time, rsrs, why?

Once again the lessons are very useful because we keep learning without going to school.

See you,

Aurora
Aurora

end or finish #12 (permalink) Sun Jul 06, 2008 20:26 pm   end or finish

Hi Aurora,

Many thanks for your positive feedback. It's good to hear you find our materials useful. As for your question, please click here to get more information.

Best regards,
Torsten

TOEIC listening, photographs: In a store
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Time #13 (permalink) Sun Jul 06, 2008 20:44 pm   Time

Alan wrote:
Hi,

This means that you knew exactly what the time was because he stopped work at the same time every day - in other words when you saw him stop work then you knew it must be for example 5.30.

Alan

Dear Alan,
Thank you for the clear explanation.
Aurora
Aurora

Tell the time by him because he always finished work... #14 (permalink) Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:36 am   Tell the time by him because he always finished work...

Hi all, I too have a question.

The word "could" doesn't neccessarily indicate events in past, is that right? I often found in conversations with native speakers that it rather indicated the probability of something. That is "could" could be used in a situation that contains some uncertainty, and "can" expresses a higher probability of the event.
Kzie

Tell the time by him because he always finished work... #15 (permalink) Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:39 am   Tell the time by him because he always finished work...

Hi everybody,
I have the same question as that of Kzie. Is there anyone can explain it for us? How to recognize when "could" refer to probability or the past tense form of "can"?
Trampham

What is a mover? | A youth is a young person
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Can you give me a little more information about the house?Mitchell is a police officer.Those kids should know better. They shouldn't tease that boy anymore.your evaluation please?How long have you worked here (at this place) as a city planner (in this job).I need your expense reports on my desk and on the double.on the alertthe oldest and largest trees in the world are found in CaliforniaI don't have a jobturning brownWhen we know the answer do we write it or do we click on it?ottoman vs deskPassionate about art in general?