small vegetable growth; factory; equipment
plant
duty
uncertainty
remove

The meaning of word "Scowrers"

tow sentences with the same meaning | what time would you be available today? or when would you be available? or would
The meaning of word "Scowrers" #1 (permalink) Sun Oct 18, 2009 19:19 pm   The meaning of word "Scowrers"

I'm currently reading the Stand magazine's reprinted stories of Sherlock Holmes.
The name of one chapter is "The Scowrers". It is the narrative of the main actor, who is considered to be american citizen and so on .. :lol:
So i'm wondering what the meaning of the heading is
Borislav

Location: Bulgaria

The meaning of word "Scowrers" #2 (permalink) Sun Oct 18, 2009 19:44 pm   The meaning of word "Scowrers"

As you've probably already figured out if you have finished the chapter by now: it is the name of a gang of criminals in Sherlock Holmes.

From the OED:

"Scourer [noun]:
...
2. In the 17th–18th c.: One who made a practice of roistering through the streets at night, beating the watch, breaking windows, etc
...
"
It had "scowrer" as an alternative spelling before 1800.
Cerberus™

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
The meaning of word "Scowrers" #3 (permalink) Mon Oct 19, 2009 17:35 pm   The meaning of word "Scowrers"

Yesss,
I haven't read the chapter yet but its heading sounds very scary :P Today I've read the half of the chapter :D
Borislav

Location: Bulgaria

The meaning of word "Scowrers" #4 (permalink) Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:37 am   The meaning of word "Scowrers"

Oh dear, I hope I haven' spoilt your excitement too much.
Cerberus™

How would you rate the lyrics of "World comin' down on me"?WhetherSentence: The only teachers who were required to attend the meeting were GeorgeI'm already here. vs I’m already arriving. vs I’m already come.at home and in house/ kite stuckLet him speak vs let him speaksRephrasings: I had to wait for the manager for almost an hour before he woud...The professor X made a presentation. vs The professor, X, made a presentation.English course vs. English classSentence: He's been through enough already, and with any further stress...A report ... today by two environmental organizationsEnglish Test for a postThe Present Perfect tense with just, this afternoon and today