commercial; of commerce
independent
trade
elaborate
pertinent

Sentence: The only teachers who were required to attend the meeting were George

How would you rate the lyrics of "World comin' down on me"? | on Halloween vs at Halloween
Sentence: The only teachers who were required to attend the meeting were George #1 (permalink) Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:50 am   Sentence: The only teachers who were required to attend the meeting were George

Hi all,

I got the following question wrong. Please help to explain the grammar point...

The only teachers who were required to attend the meeting were George, Betty, Jill, and me

I thought the use of "The only" is incorrect because "only" indicates ONLY ONE! But there were 4 teachers... The key says "me" is incorrect...

Please help...
_________________
Thank you very much,
Hieu Phan.

P/s: Please just correct if I'm wrong somewhere!
Hieupt

Sentence: The only teachers who were required to attend the meeting were Geor #2 (permalink) Wed Oct 21, 2009 13:09 pm   Sentence: The only teachers who were required to attend the meeting were Geor

In the context of the sentence, me IS incorrect.

Who was required to attend?
Betty was.
George was.
Jill was.
And so was I.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Sentence: The only teachers who were required to attend the meeting were George #3 (permalink) Wed Oct 21, 2009 17:22 pm   Sentence: The only teachers who were required to attend the meeting were George

Yes, I just found out the grammar point here is to use the subject pronouns after the verb "be".

But I wonder why it's acceptable to say "the only" but following more than 1 items described.

_________________
Thank you very much,
Hieu Phan.

Hieupt

Sentence: The only teachers who were required to attend the meeting were George #4 (permalink) Wed Oct 21, 2009 19:00 pm   Sentence: The only teachers who were required to attend the meeting were George

Yes, "only" is not at all restricted to being used with one thing or person. You simply use it to limit the action (or whatever it is) to a certain thing or things.
- Have you ever been to Africa? No, I have only been to South America, Asia, and Australia. (In this sentence, "only" is about "South America, Asia, and Australia". Note that "only" is often not placed at the most logical position in the sentence.)
- I have spoken to her only for a short time. (Only is about "for a short time": it limits the speaking to a short time, while restricting the speaking from any other period of time: not for a long time.)
- Please don't be mad, I haven't told many people. - Oh, you only told it to everyone. (This is ironic: "told it" is restricted to "everyone", which is of course no real restriction at all.)

Using "me" as a subject complement or as part of the subject ("Jill and me went to town") is considered wrong by conventional grammar, but it is often so used colloquially. The same applies to using it as a subject or subject complement in "than" and "as" clauses, like "she is prettier than me". But I think that there are some teachers in these modern days who will not consider all of this wrong anymore.
Cerberusô

Sentence: The only teachers who were required to attend the meeting were George #5 (permalink) Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:33 am   Sentence: The only teachers who were required to attend the meeting were George

I see... Thanks Cerberus...
_________________
Thank you very much,
Hieu Phan.

Hieupt

Please photocopy this page OR paperArticle: I live in an/the old house near the station.in vs of (The increase of/in atmospheric greenhouse...)must/should + perfective...difference between "need for" and "need of".Net income vs. profitOn the coming Sunday / in the coming Sunday?"racehorse" vs "racing horse"WhetherI'm already here. vs Iím already arriving. vs Iím already come.what time would you be available today? or when would you be available? or wouldFor or To? (First Drug Stores for/to the Public.)Let him speak vs let him speaks