against; opposed
step
counter
photo
ad

Whether

Let him speak vs let him speaks | I'm already here. vs Iím already arriving. vs Iím already come.
Whether #1 (permalink) Wed Oct 21, 2009 14:53 pm   Whether

Hi, I would like to know the meaning of the word Whether. I have read this word in some texts but I don't understand its meaning when I traslate it. I thought "Whether" is synonym of "If" but I'm not sure.
Diego2000

Location: Colombia

Whether #2 (permalink) Wed Oct 21, 2009 16:59 pm   Whether

Yes, whether can mean the same as if; but you would use it only when you have two things to choose from:

- I don't know whether I shall take Agrippina or Melissa to the banquet.
- Whether or not Nero kills his mother is none of my concern.
- It is uncertain whether he will be there at the funeral.
(Here "whether or not" is to be understood.)

Whether is a bit more conventional than "if" in this type of sentence; I prefer "whether" because it is clearer, but that is a personal choice. Consider this sentence:

- You should always inform the cook if you plan to stay for lunch.
(You should always inform the cook whether (or not) you plan to stay, or (only) in case you (actually) plan to stay?)

For a similar reason, I try not to use "if" for "though", as is frequently done. But it is not terribly important.
Cerberusô

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Please photocopy this page OR paperArticle: I live in an/the old house near the station.in vs of (The increase of/in atmospheric greenhouse...)must/should + perfective...Net income vs. profiton Halloween vs at Halloween"racehorse" vs "racing horse"How would you rate the lyrics of "World comin' down on me"?Sentence: The only teachers who were required to attend the meeting were Georgewhat time would you be available today? or when would you be available? or wouldtow sentences with the same meaningat home and in house/ kite stuckRephrasings: I had to wait for the manager for almost an hour before he woud...