person who runs a company; director; administrator; supervisor
collectible
manager
vacancy
whereas

"racehorse" vs "racing horse"

on Halloween vs at Halloween | must/should + perfective...
"racehorse" vs "racing horse" #1 (permalink) Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:28 am   "racehorse" vs "racing horse"

Hey guys!

Can anybody tell me if there's any difference between "a racehorse" and "a racing horse".

I think "race" tells us what kind of the horse, while "racing" is used like an adjective here to say what the general purpose of "horse" is. So which one is more common?

And can I write "a race horse" (as two separate words)? Are there any clear rules for this?

Thank you in advance!
Morphin

Location: Amsterdam, Holland

"racehorse" vs "racing horse" #2 (permalink) Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:35 am   "racehorse" vs "racing horse"

Can anybody tell me if there's any difference between "a racehorse" and "a racing horse".-- I don't find the latter natural at all.

And can I write "a race horse" (as two separate words)?-- Yes. Are there any clear rules for this?-- The rule is usage. Nine on-line general dictionaries list it as two words, and 19 list it as a single word.
_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
"racehorse" vs "racing horse" #3 (permalink) Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:18 am   "racehorse" vs "racing horse"

Thank you, Mister Micawber!
Morphin

Location: Amsterdam, Holland

Redirecting or forwarding a questionPlease photocopy this page OR paperArticle: I live in an/the old house near the station.origin of expression "dance tea"in vs of (The increase of/in atmospheric greenhouse...)difference between "need for" and "need of".Net income vs. profitOn the coming Sunday / in the coming Sunday?How would you rate the lyrics of "World comin' down on me"?WhetherSentence: The only teachers who were required to attend the meeting were GeorgeI'm already here. vs Iím already arriving. vs Iím already come.For or To? (First Drug Stores for/to the Public.)