one who donates money; person or organization that promotes or supports (an event, program, candidate, etc.)
grain
wrong
screen
sponsor

Net income vs. profit

must/should + perfective... | in vs of (The increase of/in atmospheric greenhouse...)
Net income vs. profit #1 (permalink) Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:22 am   Net income vs. profit

Hi, what exactly is the difference between the terms 'net income' and 'profit'? When I read Wikipedia correctly, the term 'profit' is the UK equivalent to the US word 'net income'. Is that right? For example, according to Wikipedia, the German based Metro Group had a profit of $403 million last year while Google's 'net income' was over 4 billion $.

Many thanks,

TOEIC listening, photographs: A large wall

Net income vs. profit #2 (permalink) Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:04 am   Net income vs. profit

They are same. Sometimes, in order to avoid misunderstanding, they might use "net profit".
_________________
Thank you very much,
Hieu Phan.

P/s: Please just correct if I'm wrong somewhere!
Hieupt

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Net income vs. profit #3 (permalink) Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:00 pm   Net income vs. profit

Hi Torsten,

after all, I imagine the difference is that `net income´ includes the fact that no more bills are to detract, whereat the `profit´ don´t give any clue whehter all the bills are paid or not.

I mean there are also terms in business life that I would poorly translate with "pure profit" or "after tax profit". The small word "net" implies that all taxes (or whatever bills) are paid, doesn´t it?
Foah

Location: next to Dortmund , Europe

Net income vs. profit #4 (permalink) Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:04 pm   Net income vs. profit

Yes, in general: Profit = Total Revenue - Total Expense
whereas Taxes is considered a kind of expenses.
_________________
Thank you very much,
Hieu Phan.

Hieupt

Net income vs. profit #5 (permalink) Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:22 pm   Net income vs. profit

The term Profit normally connots profit from a particular activity or that from a particular business. Whereas the term Net income means profits and or losses of an individual or of a company or of a group, from all the activies or businesses together. Say, ABC Inc has 3 businesses. Profit from Business 1 is 1000 USD, from Business 2 it is 6000 USD and from Business 3 it is loss of 3000 USD. So Net Income of ABC Inc for the period will be 4000 USD.
Bharatpitti

The window is wrongly closed. vs The window is badly closed.I am poor at playing the piano. vs I am poor in playing the piano.Redirecting or forwarding a questionPlease photocopy this page OR paperArticle: I live in an/the old house near the station.origin of expression "dance tea"difference between "need for" and "need of".on Halloween vs at HalloweenOn the coming Sunday / in the coming Sunday?"racehorse" vs "racing horse"How would you rate the lyrics of "World comin' down on me"?WhetherSentence: The only teachers who were required to attend the meeting were George