Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

one who damages a person or his property or rights
facility
denial
coincidence
trespasser
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

must/should + perfective...

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
"racehorse" vs "racing horse" | Net income vs. profit
listening exercises
must/should + perfective... #1 (permalink) Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:23 am   must/should + perfective...

Hi, please help to check the following sentence:

Eve had to pay $5 because she wrote a bad check. She (must/should) have deposited her money before she wrote a check.

I think it's like a logical conclusion in the past so that "must" is better instead of "should" which the key say.

Please help to explain...

P/s: Please just correct if I'm wrong somewhere!
Hieupt
I'm here quite often ;-)

must/should + perfective... #2 (permalink) Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:40 am   must/should + perfective...

Hi,

The meaning here for me is that Eve had to pay a fine because she didn't have enough money in the bank but the correct thing for her to have done was 'deposit the money' before writing the cheque. She didn't do that but she should have done that. If you say 'she must have done that', it suggests she did do that but in fact she didn't!

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
must/should + perfective... #3 (permalink) Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:47 am   must/should + perfective...

Alan wrote:
Hi,

The meaning here for me is that Eve had to pay a fine because she didn't have enough money in the bank but the correct thing for her to have done was 'deposit the money' before writing the cheque. She didn't do that but she should have done that. If you say 'she must have done that', it suggests she did do that but in fact she didn't!

Alan

That makes sense. I don't really understand how the "check" system works. It's a gray area to me. Thanks Alan for your quick reply.

P/s: Please just correct if I'm wrong somewhere!
Hieupt
I'm here quite often ;-)

"racehorse" vs "racing horse" | Net income vs. profit
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
I am poor at playing the piano. vs I am poor in playing the piano.Redirecting or forwarding a questionPlease photocopy this page OR paperArticle: I live in an/the old house near the station.origin of expression "dance tea"in vs of (The increase of/in atmospheric greenhouse...)difference between "need for" and "need of".on Halloween vs at HalloweenOn the coming Sunday / in the coming Sunday?How would you rate the lyrics of "World comin' down on me"?WhetherSentence: The only teachers who were required to attend the meeting were GeorgeI'm already here. vs Iím already arriving. vs Iím already come.