collapse; crash; incident
commission
object
final
breakdown

Article: I live in an/the old house near the station.

in vs of (The increase of/in atmospheric greenhouse...) | Please photocopy this page OR paper
Article: I live in an/the old house near the station. #1 (permalink) Thu Oct 22, 2009 15:21 pm   Article: I live in an/the old house near the station.

Hello!
I have a simple question, however I just want to make sure that I am not mistaken even in the simplest things in English)
"I live in an old house near the station"
"I live in the old house near the station"
Which one is correct? Personally, I'd rather go with the first sentence and can explain my choice in the following way: "There are many houses near the station, and I just live in one of them".
Thanks in advance!
Li Chyan

Article: I live in an/the old house near the station. #2 (permalink) Thu Oct 22, 2009 19:10 pm   Article: I live in an/the old house near the station.

'An' in your sentence suggests 'one' old house and that's all. 'The' in your sentence suggests that there is only one old house near the station and yours is the one. This isn't really a question of correctness but of meaning.

_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
The window is wrongly closed. vs The window is badly closed.I am poor at playing the piano. vs I am poor in playing the piano.Redirecting or forwarding a questionWhat does "it's up to you" mean?origin of expression "dance tea"must/should + perfective...difference between "need for" and "need of".Net income vs. profiton Halloween vs at HalloweenOn the coming Sunday / in the coming Sunday?"racehorse" vs "racing horse"How would you rate the lyrics of "World comin' down on me"?Whether