to rent out property for a specific period of time; to let
object
lease
promote
nominate

"English Verb Tenses" annoy me! what should I do?!

Letter: I started working here last weekend, I was lucky to get this job... | "For how long" vs "How long"!?
"English Verb Tenses" annoy me! what should I do?! #1 (permalink) Fri Oct 23, 2009 21:02 pm   "English Verb Tenses" annoy me! what should I do?!

Hi everyone,

I understand the structures of English tenses, but when I want to write I find it difficult to write in English correctly! I can't know which tense I should or shouldn't use! especialy if I want to talk about something happened in the past!

What should I do?!
Nawar

"English Verb Tenses" annoy me! what should I do?! #2 (permalink) Fri Oct 23, 2009 21:10 pm   "English Verb Tenses" annoy me! what should I do?!

I strongly recommend Michael Vince's book and also English Grammar in Use (those who read me may say that I always recommend R. Murphy's book :D). Anyway, they give you a lot of sentences in context. Not only the theory ! You'll notice how to use it in practise.

I hope it'll help.

Take care,
Mike
_________________
Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes. Oscar Wilde
Michal. I'm an english student :-)
Michauek

Location: Poland

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
"English Verb Tenses" annoy me! what should I do?! #3 (permalink) Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:18 am   "English Verb Tenses" annoy me! what should I do?!

Search with Google for "past simple present perfect" to find some websites that explain the difference; the same for "present continuous present simple". These are the two pairs of tenses that most people have trouble with.
Cerberus™

"English Verb Tenses" annoy me! what should I do?! #4 (permalink) Sat Oct 24, 2009 15:45 pm   "English Verb Tenses" annoy me! what should I do?!

I have a question. When you write in English, are you thinking in your native language?
If so STOP. If I were to think in English and write in my other language, my grammar would not only be messed up but so would my vocabulary. Just because I would be constantly translating. When I write in my other language I think in that language as well.
Barb2883

"English Verb Tenses" annoy me! what should I do?! #5 (permalink) Sat Oct 24, 2009 18:23 pm   "English Verb Tenses" annoy me! what should I do?!

Barb2883 wrote:

Good one. When you find yourself dreaming in it, too, you know you are making great progress.
Cerberus™

"English Verb Tenses" annoy me! what should I do?! #6 (permalink) Sat Oct 24, 2009 20:10 pm   "English Verb Tenses" annoy me! what should I do?!

Thank you Mike, Cerberus, and Barb.

When I study English Grammar, I understand the use of each tense! but far from books and exams, I can't use these rules :(
I want to talk and write in English naturally!

Yes, you are right barb,
In my mother tongue which is Arabic, we only have one type of past tense for all the six past types of English!!
but I don't speak like I do in Arabic, I do think in english, but Verb Tenses are my biggest problem!

Should I memorize it's rules?! :lol:

Oh yeah I hope to have a nice english dream tonight :)

Thank you all,
Nawar
Nawar

one of the...?(help) would you mind iffit and suitfunctional or functionI forget" vs "I forgot" vs "I have forgotten"Each other vs. Togetherwhat does FYI mean?appreciate vs appreciatirely'Had been' vs 'was'Is it possible to say: "a person's vision deteriorates"?give someone the creepsIt was all (s)he could do (not) to. . .What does "it's up to you" mean?