Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

sale of products to final consumers; sale of goods to end users
judge
admiration
beverage
retail
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Is it possible to say: "a person's vision deteriorates"?

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
appreciate vs appreciatirely | Letter: I started working here last weekend, I was lucky to get this job...
listening exercises
Is it possible to say: "a person's vision deteriorates"? #1 (permalink) Fri Oct 23, 2009 22:54 pm   Is it possible to say: "a person's vision deteriorates"?

Hi,
Is it possible to use the indefinite article in the phrase "a person's vision deteriorates"?
Does it associate with the word "vision" or "person's"?
What about the expressions "A Men's Room" & "a women's issue" ?

Is it possible to say: "a person's vision deteriorates"? #2 (permalink) Fri Oct 23, 2009 23:59 pm   Is it possible to say: "a person's vision deteriorates"?

Yes indeed, 'a person's vision', 'a men's room' and 'a women's issue' are common enough phrases, but in the first, I associate the article with person and in the latter two with the noun. I suppose it depends on each case.

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Is it possible to say: "a person's vision deteriorates"? #3 (permalink) Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:59 am   Is it possible to say: "a person's vision deteriorates"?

Ok, thank you for the helpful answer. It's really very interesting, 'cause I've never supposed that there is such a duality in association with an article.

appreciate vs appreciatirely | Letter: I started working here last weekend, I was lucky to get this job...
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
(help) would you mind iffit and suit"For how long" vs "How long"!?I forget" vs "I forgot" vs "I have forgotten"Each other vs. Togetherwhat does FYI mean?'Had been' vs 'was'"English Verb Tenses" annoy me! what should I do?!The window is wrongly closed. vs The window is badly closed.I am poor at playing the piano. vs I am poor in playing the piano.give someone the creepsIt was all (s)he could do (not) to. . .What does "it's up to you" mean?