Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

preferred; beloved; liked
stipendiary
sufficient
warning
favorite
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

'Had been' vs 'was'

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Please find awkward expressions in the text | It was all (s)he could do (not) to. . .
listening exercises
'Had been' vs 'was' #1 (permalink) Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:42 am   'Had been' vs 'was'

HI Mr. Torsten! I have a question: why in this sentensee was used Past Perfect tence? Here is this sentense: The Holbeck Hotel, built on a clifftop overlooking the sea, had been the best hotel in town for 110 years.
Why the author didn't write "was the best hotel"?
Thank you!
Vladskywalker
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

'Had been' vs 'was' #2 (permalink) Fri Oct 23, 2009 17:05 pm   'Had been' vs 'was'

Prtesumably because it was being demolished.

It had been, but would no longer be.

Kitos.

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Please find awkward expressions in the text | It was all (s)he could do (not) to. . .
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
"For how long" vs "How long"!?Letter: I started working here last weekend, I was lucky to get this job...appreciate vs appreciatirelyIs it possible to say: "a person's vision deteriorates"?"English Verb Tenses" annoy me! what should I do?!The window is wrongly closed. vs The window is badly closed.I am poor at playing the piano. vs I am poor in playing the piano.Redirecting or forwarding a questiongive someone the creepsPlease photocopy this page OR paperWhat does "it's up to you" mean?origin of expression "dance tea"difference between "need for" and "need of".