preferred; beloved; liked
stipendiary
sufficient
warning
favorite

'Had been' vs 'was'

Please find awkward expressions in the text | It was all (s)he could do (not) to. . .
'Had been' vs 'was' #1 (permalink) Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:42 am   'Had been' vs 'was'

HI Mr. Torsten! I have a question: why in this sentensee was used Past Perfect tence? Here is this sentense: The Holbeck Hotel, built on a clifftop overlooking the sea, had been the best hotel in town for 110 years.
Why the author didn't write "was the best hotel"?
Thank you!
Vladskywalker

Location: Uzbekistan

'Had been' vs 'was' #2 (permalink) Fri Oct 23, 2009 17:05 pm   'Had been' vs 'was'

Prtesumably because it was being demolished.

It had been, but would no longer be.

_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
"For how long" vs "How long"!?Letter: I started working here last weekend, I was lucky to get this job...appreciate vs appreciatirelyIs it possible to say: "a person's vision deteriorates"?"English Verb Tenses" annoy me! what should I do?!The window is wrongly closed. vs The window is badly closed.I am poor at playing the piano. vs I am poor in playing the piano.Redirecting or forwarding a questiongive someone the creepsPlease photocopy this page OR paperWhat does "it's up to you" mean?origin of expression "dance tea"difference between "need for" and "need of".