in the event of sudden need
own
preventive
regardless
emergency

I forget" vs "I forgot" vs "I have forgotten"

Too many verbs in the same tense? | Each other vs. Together
I forget" vs "I forgot" vs "I have forgotten" #1 (permalink) Sat Oct 24, 2009 18:04 pm   I forget" vs "I forgot" vs "I have forgotten"

A: "What's the title of the movie you saw yesterday?"
B: "I forget."/"I forgot."/"I have forgotten."

Is there any difference among "forget" and "forgot" and "have forgotten" in this case? I

I'm especially curious about "I forgot," because English grammar tells you it means, at least literally, that the speaker forgot the title at some point in the past and may or may not remember it now. So the logical conclusion would be that this form is not correct, at least to the ears of grammatical sticklers, because it doesn't address to the question of whether or not the speaker remembers it now. But I hear people say "I forgot" all the time. Maybe it's another example of the past tense being used in place of the present perfect (eg. "Did you eat yet?"/"Have you eaten yet") and they actually mean "I have forgotten" when they say "I forgot"?

Can anyone clear up my muddled mind?

Carrie
Carrie1985

I forget" vs "I forgot" vs "I have forgotten" #2 (permalink) Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:53 am   I forget" vs "I forgot" vs "I have forgotten"

There is no difference in intent in B's responses. All are common, and choice remains with the speaker and his/her habit of use. A native speaker does not 'mean' one verb form and use another. Grammar follows speaker use, not vice versa. Here, all 3 verb forms are used to mean that the speaker cannot supply the movie title at the moment.
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Finding mistake: The students in the dormitories were forbidden, unless they...one of the...?(help) would you mind iffit and suitMeaning of Godish?functional or function"For how long" vs "How long"!?Odds and endsLetter: I started working here last weekend, I was lucky to get this job...what does FYI mean?appreciate vs appreciatirelyIs it possible to say: "a person's vision deteriorates"?"English Verb Tenses" annoy me! what should I do?!