Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to govern; to control; to determine; to decide; to decree
detect
drop
advert
rule
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Idiom: loud and clear

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Expression: 'on a regular basis' | penny ante
listening exercises
Idiom: loud and clear #1 (permalink) Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:10 am   Idiom: loud and clear

Test No. errors/elem-14 "Listen and Improve Your English", question 5

At this precise moment you are my listener and I hope you can hear me loudly and clear.

(a) are
(b) loudly
(c) clear

Test No. errors/elem-14 "Listen and Improve Your English", answer 5

At this precise moment you are my listener and I hope you can hear me loud and clear.

Correct entry: loud
The error was: (b) loudly

I'd like to know why the answer is "loud and clear".These are the adjs.I think the answer is "loudly and clearly" in order to be adverbs.
May Thant Zin

Idiom: loud and clear #2 (permalink) Mon Oct 10, 2005 14:27 pm   Idiom: loud and clear

I answered this in your duplicate post, May. As an addendum, loudly and clearly would work here grammatically, but not idiomatically.

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Idiom: loud and clear #3 (permalink) Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:24 am   Idiom: loud and clear

I don't understand your answer. It is the gramma English test, so i think the correct answer should be "loudly and clearly"
Fairy

Loud and clear #4 (permalink) Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:56 am   Loud and clear

Hi Fairy,

You are quite correct in saying that loudly and clearly are the adverbs, which usually qualify the verb. Grammatically in this sentence the two adverbs would be used but this has become used so often as an expression: I can hear you loud and clear - (I can hear you very well) that it has now become idiomatic and so doesn't follow the usual rules of grammar.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Idiom: loud and clear #5 (permalink) Thu Apr 01, 2010 21:04 pm   Idiom: loud and clear

why can't we use aloud
Pasban110
I'm here quite often ;-)

Idiom: loud and clear #6 (permalink) Sun Apr 04, 2010 18:21 pm   Idiom: loud and clear

Hi,

'Loud and clear' is the accepted idiom.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Idiom: loud and clear #7 (permalink) Sun Apr 04, 2010 20:05 pm   Idiom: loud and clear

Have you ever heard of aloudly? Aloud is just a predicative adjective and can't be an adverb. Moreover, aloud is just used to modify speaking volume-say or speak or shout not hear.

Expression: 'on a regular basis' | penny ante
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
not the brightest star in the skyThe shop owner shot the robber. vs The shop owner shoots the robber.Which tense is often used to write a poem or story?what is cold-blooded?'could lose all of your money' vs 'could lost all of your money'currently vs generallyWhat does sick in this sentence mean?Meaning of "kira speaks two languages."Meaning of "He plays two instruments"School of hard knocks?What is turnaround fianacing? Is it an amount of money or a method something?what is the meaning of foreshadowing?Photos of your girlfriend?