simple; basic
elemental
rational
obligatory
secret

What does "throw you a curve" mean?

What does stress-free mean? | What is meaning of hog future?
What does "throw you a curve" mean? #1 (permalink) Mon Nov 02, 2009 18:52 pm   What does "throw you a curve" mean?

"I'll pay for your car repairs this time, but you always have to be prepared for life to throw you a .......... You never know when you'll be faced with an unexpected bill," Hank told his son.

(a) dice
(b) line
(c) dip
(d) curve

"I'll pay for your car repairs this time, but you always have to be prepared for life to throw you a curve. You never know when you'll be faced with an unexpected bill," Hank told his son.

Correct answer: (d) curve
_________________________

what does "throw you a curve" mean?
Throwy

What does "throw you a curve" mean? #2 (permalink) Mon Nov 02, 2009 21:43 pm   What does "throw you a curve" mean?

This sentence should read "a curve ball." This is something that is unexpected and is a baseball term that refers to a pitcher who throws a curve ball (something different; unlike previous pitches).
We'll fix this typo ASAP.
_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
What does "throw you a curve" mean? #3 (permalink) Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:42 am   What does "throw you a curve" mean?

Not a typo, in my estimation. The idiom is often shortened from 'throw one a curve ball' to 'throw one a curve'.

From an online dictionary:

throw a curve; throw someone a curve

1. Lit. to pitch a curveball to someone in baseball. (See pitch someone a curve(ball).) The pitcher threw John a curve, and John swung wildly against thin air. During that game, the pitcher threw everyone a curve at least once.
2. Fig. to confuse someone by doing something tricky or unexpected. 'When you said "house" you threw me a curve. The password was supposed to be "home." ' 'John threw me a curve when we were making our presentation, and I forgot my speech.'

Google will call up plenty of examples, Linda.
_________________

What does "throw you a curve" mean? #4 (permalink) Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:06 am   What does "throw you a curve" mean?

Yes, Mister Micawber is right but I think 'curve ball' is used more.
_________________

what means the word fake?What does give you my word mean?What does boo-boo mean?broadsided him in the worst way? meaning?Meaning of sworeHe is quite handsome. vs He is quite unimportant.Meaning of safeWho was jeffersons nival?Can you explain have, had we have had or also apostrphe e.g. james's or james'"loved ones" instead of "loves ones"What is documentation?'By all means, take a few.' vs 'At all means, take a few.'walk on eggshells? - be careful with him? thanks!