act of pretending; counterfeit; imitation of the operation or features of one system using an other system
executive
simulation
combination
clipping

Speaking English for 20 seconds a day?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 254, 255, 256  Next

ESL Forums | Listening, speaking, pronunciation and accent training
please check my pronunciation | Speaking Practice: travel
Speaking English for 20 seconds a day? #16 (permalink) Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:44 am   Speaking English for 20 seconds a day?

Please listen to my recording and respond with a voice message too. Many thanks.
_________________

Speaking English for 20 seconds a day? #17 (permalink) Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:47 am   Speaking English for 20 seconds a day?

Can't hear you, Bill.

_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Speaking English for 20 seconds a day? #18 (permalink) Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:49 am   Speaking English for 20 seconds a day?

_________________

Speaking English for 20 seconds a day? #19 (permalink) Thu Nov 05, 2009 16:38 pm   Speaking English for 20 seconds a day?

Hello everyone,

Alan, you're posts are going to be tough to beat! They're wonderful. I find myself waking up and thinking, "I wonder what Alan is going to write today? Tune in and find out."

As for me, a good cup of coffee is what I need in the morning. Tea is usually held off until mid-day in the Kane household. After I post this message, I'm heading out to the office supply store to buy more ink and paper for my printer, and then back to the office. I know what you're all thinking..."Man, that Tom really lives on the edge!"

That's it for now!

Tom Kane

Speaking English for 20 seconds a day? #20 (permalink) Thu Nov 05, 2009 18:20 pm   Speaking English for 20 seconds a day?

Hi everyone,

Claudia here.

Well, I survived the visit downtown. It only rained once, otherwise it was nice and sunny, but I took a raincoat with me so I didn't get drenched. It was quite busy downtown and everybody was coughing and sneezing, so there is a real bad cold going around and I was glad when I went back home and got out of there. Hehe.

Oki, take it easy.

P.S. Welcome Tom Kane! I hope to hear from you more. Bye.
Cgk

Location: Franconia, Germany, Illinois, USA

Speaking English for 20 seconds a day? #21 (permalink) Thu Nov 05, 2009 20:39 pm   Speaking English for 20 seconds a day?

Claudia - thank you very much,the sore throat missed me these days.What about the health insurance bugging ?
Alan and Tom - I'm drinking the same as you - tea! My grandmother collects different kinds of herbs from the mountain.
Alan - this events isn't very popular it is the first time I've heard such a celebration.The occasion is something like rebellion, revolution or .. ?
Kitos - Did you take the dogs for a stroll or you stayed at home ? Maybe i missed that moment

I'M HAVING PROBLEM WITH THE HEADPFONES.FOR NOW I CAN'T TALK.
THIS POST HAD VOICE MESSAGE BUT IT DOESN'T APPEAR - I'LL FIX IT
Borislav

Location: Bulgaria

Speaking English for 20 seconds a day? #22 (permalink) Thu Nov 05, 2009 22:05 pm   Speaking English for 20 seconds a day?

SkiIucK

Speaking English for 20 seconds a day? #23 (permalink) Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:43 am   Speaking English for 20 seconds a day?

Managed to survive the firework onslaught - no that's a bit of an exaggeration. It was eerily quiet. We're shortly off on a visit to a place not far from the south coast of England. As the crow flies, it's not really that far but then crows aren't bothered about traffic and going through central London and my six year old Jaguar would probably take all day to do that. It's reckoned traffic now moves in London at about the rate it did in the 19th century in the days of horse and carriage. So we travel on the motorway that goes all the way round London, laughingly referred to as the longest roundabout in the world. It goes by the name of M25. Mention that letter and those two digits to anyone living in the south east and you'll see a grimace appear on the face of your listener followed by a series of anecdotes about traffic delays. It rivals the weather as a topic for conversation. So wish me luck!

_________________

Speaking English for 20 seconds a day? #24 (permalink) Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:58 am   Speaking English for 20 seconds a day?

Cgk

Speaking English for 20 seconds a day? #25 (permalink) Fri Nov 06, 2009 16:54 pm   Speaking English for 20 seconds a day?

Hi Claudia,

A little housework is good for you. It keeps you out of trouble! HA! :lol: Housework is one of those little annoyning things that we all must do, I guess.

As for me today, I am organizing the paperwork to begin recording the full length TOEIC and TOFEL tests that will soon be available on english-test.net. So hopefully, I will have those back to Torsten in a couple of days.

The weekend looks promising - at least the weather looks good. It should be about 65 degrees and sunny.

Alan, I hope you had a dandy trip!

Bye for now...

Tom Kane

Speaking English for 20 seconds a day? #26 (permalink) Fri Nov 06, 2009 20:05 pm   Speaking English for 20 seconds a day?

Hello everyone ,
I am new member to this site.
I would like to take test on next month.
Please tell me how to I prepare for the speaking section and writing section.
I saw essays and vocabulary questions in this site.
Really very good site , I appreciate
Kitosdad ,Torsen and Alan are helped so many students.
Please help me to get good score.
Many Thanks to all.
Siri

Speaking English for 20 seconds a day? #27 (permalink) Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:48 am   Speaking English for 20 seconds a day?

Good morning Tom,

Just love the word 'dandy' - it has a really jumpy enthusiastic ring about it. I know the word when it's used to mean a bloke who is dressed in the latest fashion. Anyhow, the trip had its dandy moments and others not so dandyish- yes I like that word. I'm going to use it more often. We got there without the notorious delays with which the motorway is associated. My car simply purred its way along. When we arrived, we all went out for lunch and the only way I could describe the food and service is dandy. But the journey home was distinctly undandy. It rained so heavily the cat's eyes on the road were barely visible. And then as soon as we were on the final stretch, the rain stopped and the roads took on a very smug look as if to say: What's the problem?

This weekend I'm undertaking a book cull -I've just acquired too many. I know a cull is usually used to describe killing animals to reduce the breeding rate but the thing is I keep finding books I didn't know I'd bought. The thought occurs to me what do all those books of mine get up to sitting together on those dark winter nights?

_________________
You can read my ESL story Passive Voice

Speaking English for 20 seconds a day? #28 (permalink) Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:57 am   Speaking English for 20 seconds a day?

Today is far better day than yesterday.I got up from the bed relaxed and laid-back.
Friday first of all I was absent in the mourning lectures and that wasn't very good.There is strong possibility the teacher makes me some problems for the absent and I can be grounded like little kid.Second my headphones broke down I was confused if i could not record my voice here.
Today my friends keeping on at me to go with them to disco but I have work to do and I'll turn them down in spite of being invited.
Borislav

Location: Bulgaria

Speaking English for 20 seconds a day? #29 (permalink) Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:57 am   Speaking English for 20 seconds a day?

This morning was what you might call a wake up call for me as I had to go to the dentist but it wasn't too painful. There was a bit of minor engineering needed inside my mouth. But my dentist is such a happy soul and she's so jolly that you can't really complain. My car told me on the dashboard that it was cold, in case I hadn't noticed. There's some old wives tale that if there are a lot of berries on bushes, it'll be very cold and if there aren't many, then it'll be mild. I've just looked out of the window and there do seem to be rather a lot of berries. Do you think if I remove some, my garden will be less cold than all the others in the neighbourhood? Well, it's a warming thought.

_________________
You can read my EFL story Prepositions

Speaking English for 20 seconds a day? #30 (permalink) Mon Nov 09, 2009 15:14 pm   Speaking English for 20 seconds a day?

Hi everyone,

it's me, Claudia, again.

Today I was thinking about my accent. When I heard my voice recordings that I made here on this forum, I was thinking, oh my goodness, my accent has become so thick again! When I used to live in the United States, my English was real fluent and people would ask me, "Where are you from?" because my accent had almost disappeared. And now, after being back in Germany for a long time, my accent has come back again. I was shocked to hear myself, I must admit!

But other than that, everything is fine and dandy. My apartment is now spic and span. Yeah, I'm really happy about that. And that I didn't have to go to the dentist, so . . .

Take it easy! Bye!

Oh, and before I forget: I guess that's kind of why it is so important to practice English as often as you can, so you don't lose what you already learned.

Take it easy.
Cgk

ESL Forums | Listening, speaking, pronunciation and accent training All times are GMT + 1 Hour
I have a question ;)Arthur=ɑːrθɜːrMy first record messageMy first messageRodger pronunciationA book you have not read but are interested in readingPronunciation of "wooed"Speak fluentlypronunciation "stirring"For TOEICŪ base simulatorFor TOEICŪ base simulatorSuccessful experinceAlex Baldwin does a great English accent (for a yank)