lifeless; spiritless
ideal
alive
inanimate
versatile

Meaning of the word defiant

Expression "The whole truth" | What does this phrasal verb mean: "We'd better get on with it."?
Meaning of the word defiant #1 (permalink) Tue Nov 03, 2009 13:15 pm   Meaning of the word defiant

ESL/EFL Test #673 "Using Adjectives (8)", question 10

He is not obedient or compliant. Most of the time, he is rather ......... at school.

(a) obedient
(b) defiant
(c) compliant

ESL/EFL Test #673 "Using Adjectives (8)", answer 10

He is not obedient or compliant. Most of the time, he is rather defiant at school.

Correct answer: (b) defiant
_________________________

meaning of the word defiant

Mirko
Mirko

Meaning of the word defiant #2 (permalink) Tue Nov 03, 2009 13:20 pm   Meaning of the word defiant

Hi Mirko.

'Defiant' comes from the verb 'defy' and means 'challenge'. In the test sentence it means that he always challenges the teacher and refuses to do as he's told.

_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of the word defiant #3 (permalink) Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:31 am   Meaning of the word defiant

Hello Sirs and Madams! Thank you for this site.
I'd assume that the answer is quite obvious as "obedient" and "compliant" are in the question.
May I suggest you to replace those words in the answers?
Gatherer

Location: Russia

Meaning of the word defiant #4 (permalink) Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:30 am   Meaning of the word defiant

Welcome to the forums, Gatherer.
Yes, it does seem a little daft, doesn't it. :-)
I guess the person who created the test had been looking at a lot of words by then and made a rather human error.
_________________

use of 'on' in participal phrasefrom the ground upLaura's ex-husband is a dead beat dad...Test incompl/elem-293, Question 3finding vs. findstraveling vs. travellingmy end of the bargaincome across shadyMost children do nothing but playWhat is the meaning of expression 'hitch in your giddyup'?passed vs. pastMeaning of "all day long"Difference between the words 'reason' and 'cause'