typical; characteristic; acting on behalf of another person or organization
absent
representative
proud
overseas

the ball and chain won't let me? what does this expression mean?

stand v.s. sell | they're back to the basics again
the ball and chain won't let me? what does this expression mean? #1 (permalink) Tue Nov 03, 2009 17:57 pm   the ball and chain won't let me? what does this expression mean?

"I can't go drinking with you guys. The ball and ......... won't let me. She wants me to stay home tonight," Ted told his friends.

(a) hammer
(b) bat
(c) goal posts
(d) chain

"I can't go drinking with you guys. The ball and chain won't let me. She wants me to stay home tonight," Ted told his friends.

Correct answer: (d) chain
_________________________

the ball and chain won't let me? what does this expression mean? thanks

the ball and chain won't let me? what does this expression mean? #2 (permalink) Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:50 am   the ball and chain won't let me? what does this expression mean?

Good morning Saneta. "The ball and chain" jokingly refers to the man's wife. :) :)
(Inferring that he is a prisoner at home).

_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
the ball and chain won't let me? what does this expression mean? #3 (permalink) Tue Oct 16, 2012 13:06 pm   the ball and chain won't let me? what does this expression mean?

1.[/b]The ball and chain (= the wife) won't let me.
2.I've got to get home to my ball and chain.(to my wife)
3. Mr. Franklin always referred to his wife as his ball and chain.(=his wife) (Inferring that he is a prisoner at home).
4. we can call "ball and chain"a special burden,a job
_________________

sleep that can be interrupted at a moment's noticeWhat does impeachment mean?Mathematics isn't his strong suit.kicking him out?finger vs combCaught with his pants down? = caught redhanded?defining vs describingages vs long timeexpression 'going balls to the wall'What does dully mean?'Will you please' vs. 'May you please'"get on with" vs. "come up with"Then when 'much of' is used?