group of judges; board; band; strip; crew; staff
deregulation
section
travel
panel

Expression: keeping up with the Joneses

What is exhausted? | Meaning of "early departure"?
Expression: keeping up with the Joneses #1 (permalink) Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:54 pm   Expression: keeping up with the Joneses

ESL/EFL Test #581 "Real Life: Rural vs. Urban Living", question 6

City dwellers often complain about living in close proximity to others because they feel a constant need to live up to the standards set by their neighbors. This is called keeping up with the ..........

(a) Smiths
(b) Idlers
(c) Joneses

ESL/EFL Test #581 "Real Life: Rural vs. Urban Living", answer 6

City dwellers often complain about living in close proximity to others because they feel a constant need to live up to the standards set by their neighbors. This is called keeping up with the Joneses.

Correct answer: (c) Joneses

City dwellers often complain about living in close proximity to others because they feel a constant need to live up to the standards set by their neighbors. This is called keeping up with the Idlers.
_________________________

Hello,could you tell me,please, what does this expression mean? keeping up with the Joneses?
_________________
"Never judge a book by its cover..."
Tamta

Location: Georgia

Expression: keeping up with the Joneses #2 (permalink) Wed Nov 04, 2009 14:10 pm   Expression: keeping up with the Joneses

Hi Tamta,

'Keeping up with the Joneses' means trying to copy and be as up to date as everyone else with expensive material items. 'Jones' is a common surname. If you trying to keep up with everyone else, it means if your next door neighbour buys a huge TV with a very wide screen, you go out and buy one, too.

_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
To live up? #3 (permalink) Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:59 am   To live up?

Hi Teachers,

I have a question concerned to they feel a need to live up to. Does live up mean here to ajust to or keep up with?

Thank you,
Vladimir.
_________________
My little horse must think it queer...
Vladimir13

Location: Moscow, Russia

Expression: keeping up with the Joneses #4 (permalink) Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:27 am   Expression: keeping up with the Joneses

keep up with
_________________

The FDIC (Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation) is a national agencyEven though he and her mother were all hunky dory againn the United States, a 401K plan allows a person to save for his/her retirementIf a company announces a recall, that means there is something wrong...why not we use the verb abandon?changed vs. modifiedResign versus quitDifference between pay cash and pay in cashquestion responsesDifference between pieces and partsMeaning of 'doubled'Meaning of AssetsExpression: In black and white