Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

firm; wealthy; influential; important; considerable
lead
innocent
substantial
aggregate
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Charley horse? What does it mean?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Persist in and insist on? | What kind of nap is that one?
listening exercises
Charley horse? What does it mean? #1 (permalink) Wed Nov 04, 2009 19:37 pm   Charley horse? What does it mean?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #282 "English Slang Idioms (4)", question 10

Serena had to stop swimming. The ......... horse in her leg was too painful to keep going.

(a) quarter
(b) miniature
(c) crazy
(d) charley

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #282 "English Slang Idioms (4)", answer 10

Serena had to stop swimming. The charley horse in her leg was too painful to keep going.

Correct answer: (d) charley

charley horse? what does it mean? thanks
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Charley horse? What does it mean? #2 (permalink) Wed Nov 04, 2009 23:25 pm   Charley horse? What does it mean?

Hi Saneta,
Charley horse: "a leg cramp or stiffness in the leg that is painful."
I'm here quite often ;-)
Linda Arlia

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Charley horse? What does it mean? #3 (permalink) Wed Oct 17, 2012 13:59 pm   Charley horse? What does it mean?

Quote:
Charley horse = cramp;
= a sudden pain that you get when the muscles in a particular part of your body contract, usually caused by cold or too much exercise;

Charley horse? What does it mean? #4 (permalink) Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:46 am   Charley horse? What does it mean?

My goodness, I've taught British English for years, but never come across that saying. Is it North American?
Iowtrish
I'm here quite often ;-)

Charley horse? What does it mean? #5 (permalink) Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:41 pm   Charley horse? What does it mean?

You are right. You've hit the nail on the head because it is North-American idiom.

1.This idiom is (NAmE) in the Oxford Learner's Dictionary.
It is written: Charley horse = cramp
Its example:

-Ow! I just got a charley-horse in my leg.

2.In the Free dictionary:
a.charley horse
a painful, persistent cramp in the arm or leg, usually from strain. (Typically: get ~; have ~; give someone ~.)
-Don't hike too far or you'll get a charley horse.

b.a charley horse (American informal)
a sudden, painful tightening of a muscle in your arm or leg
-She got a charley horse in her leg and had to stop dancing.

3.In The phrase finder you can read the origin of this idiom.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/charley-horse.html

Who described the origin of this idiom he wrote: "I've certainly never heard it use in the United Kingdom."

Charley horse? What does it mean? #6 (permalink) Thu Oct 18, 2012 13:25 pm   Charley horse? What does it mean?

Thank you Kati, I love learning new language!
Iowtrish
I'm here quite often ;-)

Charley horse? What does it mean? #7 (permalink) Thu Oct 18, 2012 13:58 pm   Charley horse? What does it mean?

Your welcome Iowtrish. I love learning language,me also, it became my hobby, or I can say that I am addicted to learning English.

Persist in and insist on? | What kind of nap is that one?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
...you know the sort you can depend onTest incompl/advan-82, Question 10What does impeachment mean?Mathematics isn't his strong suit.kicking him out?finger vs combCaught with his pants down? = caught redhanded?Good at vs. good onObject vs. subjectWill vs. mightExpression: to be afraid ofWhat for? = why?Looking forward to hearing from you