firm; wealthy; influential; important; considerable
lead
innocent
substantial
aggregate

Charley horse? What does it mean?

Persist in and insist on? | What kind of nap is that one?
Charley horse? What does it mean? #1 (permalink) Wed Nov 04, 2009 19:37 pm   Charley horse? What does it mean?

Serena had to stop swimming. The ......... horse in her leg was too painful to keep going.

(a) quarter
(b) miniature
(c) crazy
(d) charley

Serena had to stop swimming. The charley horse in her leg was too painful to keep going.

Correct answer: (d) charley
_________________________

charley horse? what does it mean? thanks

Charley horse? What does it mean? #2 (permalink) Wed Nov 04, 2009 23:25 pm   Charley horse? What does it mean?

Hi Saneta,
Charley horse: "a leg cramp or stiffness in the leg that is painful."
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Charley horse? What does it mean? #3 (permalink) Wed Oct 17, 2012 13:59 pm   Charley horse? What does it mean?

Charley horse = cramp;
= a sudden pain that you get when the muscles in a particular part of your body contract, usually caused by cold or too much exercise;
_________________

Charley horse? What does it mean? #4 (permalink) Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:46 am   Charley horse? What does it mean?

My goodness, I've taught British English for years, but never come across that saying. Is it North American?
Iowtrish

Location: Germany

Charley horse? What does it mean? #5 (permalink) Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:41 pm   Charley horse? What does it mean?

You are right. You've hit the nail on the head because it is North-American idiom.

1.This idiom is (NAmE) in the Oxford Learner's Dictionary.
It is written: Charley horse = cramp
Its example:

-Ow! I just got a charley-horse in my leg.

2.In the Free dictionary:
a.charley horse
a painful, persistent cramp in the arm or leg, usually from strain. (Typically: get ~; have ~; give someone ~.)
-Don't hike too far or you'll get a charley horse.

b.a charley horse (American informal)
a sudden, painful tightening of a muscle in your arm or leg
-She got a charley horse in her leg and had to stop dancing.

3.In The phrase finder you can read the origin of this idiom.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/charley-horse.html

Who described the origin of this idiom he wrote: "I've certainly never heard it use in the United Kingdom."
_________________

Charley horse? What does it mean? #6 (permalink) Thu Oct 18, 2012 13:25 pm   Charley horse? What does it mean?

Thank you Kati, I love learning new language!
Iowtrish

Location: Germany

Charley horse? What does it mean? #7 (permalink) Thu Oct 18, 2012 13:58 pm   Charley horse? What does it mean?

Your welcome Iowtrish. I love learning language,me also, it became my hobby, or I can say that I am addicted to learning English.
_________________

...you know the sort you can depend onTest incompl/advan-82, Question 10What does impeachment mean?Mathematics isn't his strong suit.kicking him out?finger vs combCaught with his pants down? = caught redhanded?Good at vs. good onObject vs. subjectWill vs. mightExpression: to be afraid ofWhat for? = why?Looking forward to hearing from you