open to dispute; obscure; vague
frequent
unconventional
modest
ambiguous

In spring or in the spring

Why did you use commas instead of apostrophes? | Usage of preposition "round"
In spring or in the spring #1 (permalink) Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:21 am   In spring or in the spring

I have a question about using “in” with seasons. In the lesson 12 "Days, Months, etc" on English for beginners, you gave examples:
- A lot of flowers bloom in spring.
- In winter it often snows.
My question is do we use “in” with seasons or we use “in the” with seasons. I am asking you this because yesterday I watched a video on English Video “Wonder How To” http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-use-in-and-on-in-the-english-language-165410/ about “How to use in and on in the English language”. According to this video, we can use “in” with seasons. For example: “in the spring”/ “in the springtime”, “in the summer”/ “in the summertime”, “in the winter”/ “in the wintertime”. Autumn and Fall are little bit different. With autumn, we don’t usually use the article. But if we say “fall” we usually do use the article.
I am confusing about using “in” with seasons. Should I say “in spring” or “in the spring”? Please explain it. Or can we use both ways “in spring” and “in the spring”. I am looking forward to hear your answer. Thank you.

Hoa
_________________
Hoadong
Hoadong

In spring or in the spring #2 (permalink) Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:59 am   In spring or in the spring

Hello Hoa,

I found the video too prescriptive. The video's author may not use 'the' with autumn, but many people do. The grammar is regular: 'the' is optional with all five season words--

in (the) spring/summer/fall/autumn/winter.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
In spring or in the spring #3 (permalink) Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:31 am   In spring or in the spring

Hi Mister,

Thank you for your explanation.
Yes, you are right about the prescription can make the differences of grammar, like using "the" with season words. The grammar is regular: "the" is optinal with all five season words. I got the point.
Thank you very much for advance.

Have a nice day!
_________________
Hoadong
Hoadong

"a weather forecast" and "a weather report"Should a "personal" name go to plural?'There is no' and 'there is not'Which is the correct use of prepositionsPossession case "s"I Have an English question? Could you help me?Meaning of "He started off"different vs. differentialFussing over "team"Make sure that you arrive on time.Casting a long shadowWhere were you vs Where have you beenMixed Tenses Exercises