worldwide; universal; of the whole world
inherent
bankrupt
global
vivid

The Alan's text "Learning to teach"

Poem: What God has joined together, No human being must separate... | meaning: hypervenerate
The Alan's text "Learning to teach" #1 (permalink) Sun Nov 22, 2009 13:56 pm   The Alan's text "Learning to teach"

Hello teacher Alan!

I do not know if this is the correct place to write about your texts.
I am studying your text Learning to teach. As always, I am learnig a lot. This is being hard for me to understand some words, verbs, etc.
I am, like you, a Portuguese teacher, but never have I taught. When I graduated, I was already working as a secretary and I went on in this post.
Nowadays, I would like to teach, but I do not have enough courage "to face" boys/girls ageed between 14/18.I would prefer litlle children.
I have some words that I could not find their meanings. Could you help me?
They are:
- thy;
- by a short head;
- untractable;
- reclacitrant; and
- digs.
If it is not too much to ask one more thing, please tell me the phonetic spelling of thy, untractable and recalcitrant.
I did no understand why "class bearable" and not "berable class" and why "class comic" instead of comic class.

Once more, thank you very much

Sandra - Brasil
Sandra Pellicciotti

The Alan's text "Learning to teach" #2 (permalink) Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:14 pm   The Alan's text "Learning to teach"

Hi Sandra

thy
- by a short head
- intractable
- recalcitrant
- digs.

1 an old form of 'your'
2 slightly ahead or in front
3 difficult to manage
4 constantly being disobedient
5 short term accommodation

Let me say the words for you -

The class comic is the child in the class who likes to joke a lot. As for 'class bearable' I'll have to check that since I wrote this piece a long time ago!

_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
The Alan's text "Learning to teach" #3 (permalink) Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:24 pm   The Alan's text "Learning to teach"

Hi Sandra,

I have just read the piece again and see that the expression is 'make something bearable', which means make something possible to put up with/tolerate.

_________________

The Alan's text "Learning to teach" #4 (permalink) Tue Apr 20, 2010 22:55 pm   The Alan's text "Learning to teach"

Hi Alan, thank you very much, for your attention. It was a true class!
Once more, thanks a lot for everything I have learnt with your texts!

Sandra - Brasil
Sandra Pellicciotti

The Alan's text "Learning to teach" #5 (permalink) Tue Apr 20, 2010 23:02 pm   The Alan's text "Learning to teach"

Hi Alan again!

It was interesting to hear you pronounce my name correctly.

Regards

Sandra - Brasil
Sandra Pellicciotti

Is it called a simple sentence with two predicates?about that and about it.Pronoun: He did it himself. vs He did it on his own. vs He did it by himself.IF clauseIs this correct?BONY SCOTLANDA question about : tiredDifference between progress and progressionMeanig of "before he didn't leap up"Phrase "keeping score at home"Supply or provide?Fraction: a half vs one half; a third vs one third; a fourth vs one fourthNeed some help with the English Newsletter - Potatoes!